Cheduba, an island in the bay of Bengal, belonging to the district of Ramree; area, about 400 sq. m.; pop. about 6,000. It was first occupied by the English in 1824. The channel between it and the mainland is navigable for small vessels. Copper, iron, and silver have been found in this island, and it affords indications of extinct volcanoes. It produces petroleum, rice, tobacco, pepper, sugar, cotton, hemp, and indigo.
Chee-Foo, a town of China, and one of the last ports opened to foreign trade, in the province of Shantung, lat. 37° 30' N., lon. 121° 28' E.; pop. variously estimated from 25,000 to 80,000. The chief trade consists in tea pressed into cakes for the Russian market. A species of large delicious grape is cultivated here, though no wine is made.
Chehalis, a W. county of Washington territory, bordering on the Pacific, and watered by the Kwuantl river and the Chehalis and its tributaries; area, 1,600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 401. Gray's harbor, a capacious and landlocked bay, is in this county. Timber is abundant, and the soil is very fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 3,345 bushels of wheat, 3,345 of oats, 9,860 of potatoes, 746 tons of hay, and 21,890 lbs. of butter. There were 129 horses, 505 milch cows, 1,145 other cattle, 847 sheep, and 293 swine. Capital, Montesano.
Cheiroptera. See Bat.
Cheirotherum. See Labyeinthodon.
Chemnitzer, Or Khemnitzer, Ivan Ivanovitch, a Russian fabulist, born in St. Petersburg in 1744, died in Smyrna, March 20,1784. He was of German descent, began to study medicine, afterward served in the army, and after spending some time in mining employments accepted the office of consul general in Smyrna, where he fell into a state of melancholy from which he never recovered. His fables were published anonymously from 1778 to 1781, and under his name in 1799. Some of them are taken from Gellert and La Fontaine. The best editions are those published in Moscow by Ponomareff in 1836, and in St. Petersburg by Smirdin in 1847.
Chemosh (Heb. Kemosh), a national god of the Moabites and Ammonites, supposed by Jerome, but without foundation, to be the same as Baal Peor. Gesenius considers him a god of war, deriving his name from Jcamash, to subdue. King Solomon introduced the worship of Che-mosh among the Israelites. He was worshipped, according to tradition, under the symbol of a black star; his worshippers went bareheaded, and used no garments sewn with the needle. His name constantly recurs in the inscription of King Mesha on the lately discovered stela, known as the Moabite stone. (See Moabite Stone.)
Chenab Chenaub, 'or Chinab (anc. Acesines), the largest of the five rivers of the Punjaub, tributary of the Indus; total length about 750 m. The Chenaub rises about lat. 32° 48' N"., lon. 77° 27' E., in Lahool, S. of Ladakh, and flows N. W. to the borders of Cashmere, and thence mainly S. W. A little below Ak-noor it emerges upon the plain of the Punjaub, from which point it is navigable for rafts. Still holding a S. W. course, it unites with the Jhylum, and about 50 m. below with the Ra-vee, and then with the Ghara, or lower Sutlej, from which point it loses its name, and the united stream is called the Punjnud, which flows into the Indus just as it leaves the S. boundary of the Punjaub. The water of the Chenaub is red, that of the Ghara pale, and these distinctive colors may be seen for some miles downward in the united stream, the red on the western, and the pale on the eastern side.