Chios. See Scio.
Chippenham, a municipal and parliamentary borough of Wiltshire, England, on the left bank of the Avon, crossed here by a bridge of 22 arches, 12 m. N. E. of Bath; pop. in 1871, 8,282. It is a handsome town, with an ancient Gothic parish church. Schools are numerous, and there are several charitable institutions. Tanning and malting are carried on, and there are extensive iron works. Silk and wool are manufactured to some extent, but the latter industry has much declined. Mineral springs are in the vicinity.
Chippewyms. See Tinne.
Chirchill, called also Missinnippi and English River, a river of British America, rises in Lake Methy, flows S. E. through Lakes Buffalo and La Crosse, runs thence almost due E. to XeJsoms lake, and after traversing a woody region in a N. E. direction and expanding into considerable sheets of water, falls into Hudson bay. It is about 700 m. long.
Chisago, an E. county of Minnesota., separated from Wisconsin on the E. by the St. Croix river; area, 450 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,358. It is watered by affluents of the St. Croix, and by Rush, Chisago, and other lakes. The surface is uneven and partly occupied by pine forests. The Lake Superior and Mississippi railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 32,857 bushels of wheat, 13,603 of Indian corn, 39,596 of oats, 16,975 of potatoes, 6,242 tons of hay, and 100,975 lbs. of butter. There were 378 horses, 1,027 milch cows, 1,774 other cattle, 1,387 sheep, and 988 swine. Capital, Chisago City.
Chiswick, a village and parish of Middlesex, England, 5 m. W. of Hyde Park corner, London, on the left bank of the Thames; pop. in 1871, 8,508. It is one of the most charming suburbs of London, and contains handsome villas, the gardens of the London horticultural society, and Chiswick house, a celebrated suburban villa belonging to the duke of Devonshire, where Fox and Canning died, and where Paxton, the architect of the crystal palace of 1851, was employed previous to being transferred to the duke's country seat at Chatsworth.
Chiusi (the Camars of the Etruscans, and Clusium of the Romans), a city of Italy, in the province and 38 m. S. E. of Siena, situated on a hill in the valley of the Chiana; pop. about 4,200. It was the ancient capital of King Porsena. Its decline was caused in the 11th century by the accumulation of the waters of the Chiana, which changed the surrounding valley into a pestilential marsh. Dante (Para-diso, xvi.) describes its depopulation. The valley was drained by works completed in 1823, and Chiusi is now the seat of a bishopric, has a beautiful cathedral, and several rich museums of Etruscan and Roman antiquities. On a mountain E. of the town stands the monastery Sagra di San Michele, one of the most notable religious structures in central Italy. (See Clusium.)