Chuapa, a river of Chili, forming the boundary between the provinces of Coquimbo and Aconcagua. It rises on the W. slope of the Andes, near the volcano of Chuapa, and foils into the Pacific, in lat. 31° 38' S., after a W. course of about 125 m. Its chief tributary, the Illapel, joins it on the north near the town of the same name.
Chuck Will's Widow. See Goatsucker.
Chucuyto Chucuito, or Chuquito. I. A province of the department of Puno, in Peru; pop. about 75,000. It is rich in gold and silver mines, and raises large numbers of cattle. II. The capital of the province, situated on the W. bank of Lake Titicaca, at the mouth of a small river rising in the Andes, about 15 m. S. E. of Puno and 95 m. E. of Arequipa. In its vicinity are remarkable remains of antiquity. It has greatly declined from its former prosperity, the population, which was about 80,000 in the beginning of the last century, being now only about 5,000.
Chudleigh, a market town of Devonshire, England, on a hill near the left bank of the Teign, 8 m. S. W. of Exeter; pop. in 1871, 6,612. It was almost destroyed by fire in 1807, and has since been rebuilt. It contains a church, several chapels, an endowed grammar school, national schools, and various charities. It is famous for its cider, and once had manufactories of woollens. In the vicinity are quarries of marble and limestone, and some remarkable limestone rocks, with curious caverns which the popular superstition of Devonshire points out as the abode of fairies.
Chumbul, a large river of Hindostan, rises in the N. slope of the Vindhya mountains at a height of 2,019 ft., flows N. for some distance, then N. E., and finally joins the Jumna about 90 m. S. E. of Agra. Its total course is estimated at 570 m. Besides other streams, it receives the rivers Sind and Parbuttee, and it is during a large part of its course the boundary between the Rajpoot provinces and Gwalior.
Chunar, Or Chunargurh, a town and fortress of British India, in the district of Mirzapoor, on the right bank of the Ganges, 10 m. S. W. of Benares, and 395 m. N. W. of Calcutta; pop. about 12,000. It is a place of considerable strength, possesses a small citadel, extensive magazines, governor's house, hospital, and prison. The fort is built on a solid rock which rises abruptly and projects into the river. The church missionary society has a church, and there is a chapel for the use of Roman Catholic soldiers. In 1708 the fort, with its territory, was ceded to the East India company, and was for some time the principal military depot for the Northwest Provinces. It is an invalid station for European troops, although during the sultry season the intense heat renders the place ill adapted for a sanitarium. Outside of the town is the tomb of Kasim Solvman and of his son, who are reputed as saints by the Mussulmans.