Clausenburg. See Klausenburg.
Clavichord, Or Clarkhord, an oblong keyed instrument, now out of use, of the nature of a spinet. The strings, being partially enveloped with cloth, emitted a soft, sweet tone, whence it was sometimes called the dumb spinet.
Clavicle (Lat. claviculus, from clavis, a key), the collar bone, resembling in shape the Italic letter f It articulates with the sternum or breast bone, at the root of the neck, and with the acromion process of the scapula, at the shoulder. The sternal extremity is thick and triangular, with a surface for articulation with the sternum; the humeral extremity is flat and spongy, with an articular face for the acromion process of the scapula. The sternal two thirds is convex anteriorly, and the humeral third concave anteriorly. The clavicle, besides giving strength to the whole shoulder, serves to prevent it from falling inward to the side of the chest. It also protects important vessels lying: behind it. Being immediately beneath the skin, it forms a sort of ridge, which is very marked in persons who are very thin. In the male the clavicles are more curved and robust than in the female.
Clazomenae (now Kelismari), one of the 12 cities of the Ionian confederacy (Dodecapolis), in Asia Minor, on the bay of Smyrna. It was originally built on the isthmus connecting the Ionian peninsula with the mainland, 20 m. S. W. of Smyrna, but subsequently transplanted from fear of the Persians to an island of the bay, which Alexander the Great afterward connected with the continent by a pier, remains of which are still visible. ClazomensB was founded by the Colophonians, but its inhabitants were not exclusively lonians. During the Peloponnesian war it belonged to the Athenian league, revolted, and returned to its allegiance. No remains of the ancient city exist, the very stones having been carried away to Smyrna and elsewhere. Near it is the modern village of Vurla, where there is an American missionary school. Anaxagoras was born here.
Clcelia, a Roman maiden, who according to the legend was one of the hostages delivered to Porsena when he withdrew from the Jani-culum, terrified by the threats of C. Mucius Scoevola. The story is that she swam across the Tiber and efi'ected her escape, but was sent back to Porsena by the Romans. Porsena in admiration of her courage presented her with a horse richly caparisoned, and allowed her to make a selection from the other hostages and return with them to Rome. She chose those who were of tender age and most likely to suffer from captivity. An equestrian statue which stood in the via sacra at Rome was supposed to have been erected in her honor.
Clear Creek, a N. central county of Colorado; area, about 350 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,596. The surface is mountainous, the Medicine Bow range crossing the county near the centre. It is watered by South Clear creek and its tributaries. In the valleys of these streams the soil is good. Water power is plentiful. It is the principal silver-producing county of Colorado; gold is also found, gulch and placer diggings being worked to some extent. In 1870 the gold and silver ore shipped from the county amounted to $415,006 08. Capital, Georgetown.