Climbing Perch. See Anabas Scandens.
Clinch, a S. E. county of Georgia, bordering on Florida, bounded S. W. by the Suwanoo-chee river, which also intersects it, and W. by the Allapaha, and intersected' by the Little Suwannee; area, 1,000 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 3,945, of whom 507 were colored. The surface is level and swampy. The Atlantic and Gulf railroad passes through the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 41,005 bushels of Indian corn, 21,054 of oats, 22,589 of sweet potatoes, 330 bales of cotton, 153,325 lbs. of rice, and 1,060 of honey. There were 263 horses, 3,201 milch cows, 0,210 other cattle, and 7,753 swine. Capital, Magnolia.
Clinch River rises among the hills of S. W. Virginia, passes into Tennessee, flows through the valley between Clinch and Powell mountains, and unites with the Holston at Kingston, to form the Tennessee. Its length is estimated at about 200 m., for more than half of which it is navigable by small boats.
Clinias. I. The father of Alcibiades. He served with the greatest distinction against the Persians in the naval battle at Artemisium, 480 B. C, with 200 men on board a trireme which be bad furnished at his own expense, He was slain at the battle of Coromea in 447 B. C, when the Athenians were defeated by the Boeotian and Euboean exiles. His younger son, also named Clinias, was according to Plato almost a madman. II. A Pythagorean philosopher of Tarentum, a friend of Plato. In obedience to the Pythagorean principle, he was accustomed to assuage his anger by playing upon the harp. When Porus of Cyrene had lost all bis fortune through a political revolution, Clinias, who knew nothing of him except that he was a Pythagorean, went to Cyrene and supplied him with money to the full extent of his loss. He, with Amyclas, dissuaded Plato from burning the works of Democritus.
Clio, in Greek mythology, the daughter of Zeus and Mnemosyne, and the muse of glory and history. She is usually represented sitting, with an open roll of papyrus in her left hand. Sometimes she holds a lute in one hand and a plectrum in the other.
Clio, from an Antique Representation.
Clissa, Or Kiissa. a fortified town of Dalmatia, Austria, 5 m. N. E. of Spalatro; pop. about 1,500. The importance of its position, on a height commanding the route from Spalatro to the interior of the country, has always rendered it one of the first points attacked by invading armies. The Roman castle of Andre-tium is supposed to have been situated on Mount Clissa, in the vicinity.
Clitiieroe, a parliamentary and municipal borough and market town of Lancashire, England, on the E. bank of the Ribble, at the base of Pendle hill, 1,800 ft. high, on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railroad, 216 m. by rail N. W. of London; pop. in 1871, 10,980. It contains an ancient parish church, a mechanics' institute, library, and reading room. There are extensive print works, cotton manufactories, paper mills, iron and brass founderies, and lime kilns, and the remains of a castle of the 12th century.