Clotilde Gerard Juillerat, a French painter, born in Lyons about 1810. She studied under Delaroche, and exhibited her first works in 1833. In 1840 she married the poet and dramatist Paul Juillerat (born in Paris about 1815). Her productions include many fine portraits.
Cloud, a N. county of Kansas, intersected by Republican and Solomon rivers; area, 720 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 2,323. The chief productions in 1870 were 21,794 bushels of wheat, 76,105 of Indian corn, 4,735 of oats, 11,609 of potatoes, 3,224 tons of hay, and 25,871 lbs. of butter. There were 894 horses, 842 milch cows, 2,123 other cattle, 614 sheep, and 637 swine. Capital, Concordia.
Cloyne, a market town of Ireland, in the county and 15 m. S. E. of Cork; pop. in 1871, 1,434. The cathedral, built in the 13th century, contains monuments of Bishops Warburton and Woodward, and near it is a remarkable round tower, more than 90 ft. high. The bishopric is said to have been founded in the 7th century by St. Colman, and the abbey in 707. In the loth century the see was united with that of Cork, but it became independent again in 1678. Among the celebrated bishops of Cloyne were Berkeley and the astronomer Brinkley, who died in 1835, when the see was reunited with that of Cork. There are valuable quarries in the vicinity.
Cneins Naevius, a Roman poet, born probably in Campania between 274 and 264 B. 0., died in Utica, Africa, about 204. He served in the first Punic war, settled in Rome, and produced his earliest play in 235, making the stage a vehicle for assailing the aristocracy. For a libel on Q. Caeicilius Metellus he was cast into prison, and obtained his release by two plays, the Hariolus and Leon, in which he recanted his calumnies. Having again offended, he went into exile at Utica, and employed his latter days upon his epic poem on the "Punic War," a few fragments of which are extant. Fragments of Naavius may be found in several collections of the Latin poets, and in Hermann's Elementa Doctrinae Metric® (Leipsic, 1852); the most complete and convenient edition is that of Klussmann (Jena, 1843).
Cnidls, Or Gnidus The Chief City Of The Dorian Hexapolis In Caria, built at the extremity of the peninsula of Triopium, partly on the mainland and partly on an island connected by a causeway, forming two harbors. It was founded by a Dorian colony from Lacedaemon, had an extensive commerce, and was visited by travellers from all the Grecian cities, attracted by the worship of Venus in the temple which contained the celebrated statue of this goddess by Praxiteles. There were also temples of Apollo and Neptune. It was off Cnidus that the Athenian Conon defeated with the Persian fleet that of the Spartans (394 B. C), thus depriving them of the command of the sea. Ctesias, Eudoxus, and Sos-tratus were natives of this city, of which considerable ruins arc still visible near Cape Krio. The latest explorations of these ruins were by the archaeologist Newton ("Travels and Discoveries in the Levant," 2 vols., London, 1865).