Cnossis, Or Gnossns (More Anciently Cnosus Or Gnosns

Cnossis, Or Gnossns (More Anciently Cnosus Or Gnosns, now Mahro Teikho), the capital of Crete in the time of Minos, built on the Caera-tus, a short distance from the northern coast, and founded by Dorians, who diffused their institutions over the island. Homer mentions it as already a great city, and the residence of the celebrated Cretan king; it long maintained its preponderance, until it was weakened by the growing importance of Cydonia and Gor-tyna. It was renowned in mythology by numerous legends of Jupiter, who was born and married in its vicinity, of Minos, Ariadne, the minotaur, and the celebrated labyrinth of Daedalus. In later times it became a colony of the Romans. AEnesidemus the Skeptic philosopher, and Chersiphron the architect of the temple of Diana in Ephesus, were born, and Epimenides flourished here. Some masses of Roman brickwork, parts of the so-called long wall, are the only vestiges of Cnossus.

Coahoma

Coahoma, a N. AY. county of Mississippi, separated from Arkansas by the Mississippi river; area, 750 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 7,144, of whom 5,381 were colored. The surface is low and level, and the western part is frequently inundated by the Mississippi. The Sunflower river Hows through it, and Cold Water river through the N. part. The soil is generally good. The chief productions in 1870 were 151,985 bushels of Indian corn and 11,456 bales of cotton. There were 507 horses, 939 mules and asses, 1,184 milch cows, 2,688 other cattle, and 5,066 swine. Capital, Friar's Point.

Coal Gas

Coal Gas. See Gas.

Coari, Or Coary

Coari, Or Coary, a river of Brazil, having its whole course in the province of Alto Ama-zonas, runs N. E., forms the boundary between the districts of Teffe and Coari, traverses a considerable lake, and divides near Alvellos into two arms, which join the Amazon. Length of the river, 285 m.

Coast Of Coromandel

Coast Of Coromandel, a name applied to the W. shore of the bay of Bengal, and properly confined to the seaboard of the British districts of Tanjore, Arcot, Chingleput, and Nellore, extending from Point Calimere, lat. 10° 17' N., lon. 79° 56' E., to Gondegam, lat. 15° 20' N., lon. 80° 10' E. The term is often applied, however, to the whole coast, as far north as Balasore. The places on this coast principally visited by shipping are Madras, Carikal, Cud-dalore, Pondicherry, and Pulikat. It has no harbors in which large vessels can ride in safety at all times, and is constantly swept by a heavy and dangerous surf. Landing is generally accomplished by means of native boats of a peculiar construction. The shore is open and sandy, and during the hot winds resembles a vast wilderness.

Coat Of Mail

See Armor.

Coban

Coban, a city of Guatemala, capital of the department of Vera Paz, on the left bank of the Rio Dulce, near its source, in lat. 15° 30' N., lon. 90° 30' W., 55 m. N. of the city of Guatemala; pop. about 15,000. It is situated in a remarkably fertile valley, covered with thriving plantations of sugar cane, bananas, and pimento and fruit trees. The inhabitants, chiefly Indians, are industrious and wealthy.