A N. W. County Of Alabama Colbert, recently formed from a portion of Franklin county, bounded N. by the Tennessee river, and W. by Mississippi; pop. in 1870, 12,537, of whom 4,639 were colored. It is intersected by Big Bear creek and other affluents of the Tennessee. The Memphis and Charleston railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 12,682 bushels of wheat, 291,402 of Indian corn, 14,347 of oats, and 3,986 bales of cotton. There were 1,190 horses, 799 mules and asses, 1,623 milch cows, 2,699 other cattle, 2,735 sheep, and 8,267 swine. Capital, Tus-cumbia.
Coldstream, a town of Berwickshire, Scotland, 12 m. S. W. of Berwick; pop. about 2,200. It is situated on the left bank of the Tweed, here spanned by a handsome bridge. Besides the parish church, there are several places of worship, and a number of schools and libraries. The principal trade is in agricultural products and in cattle. Adjoining the town is the celebrated ford of the Tweed which was repeatedly crossed by the invading armies of both Scotland and England. Monk raised a corps here in 1659-'60, which was at first known as Monk's regiment, but subsequently it was included, under the name of Coldstream guards, in the brigade which parliament allowed to Charles II.; it retains this designation as a regiment in the foot guards or household brigade, and is one of the oldest corps in the British array.
Coldwater, a city, the capital of Branch co., Michigan, on the Coldwater river and the Michigan Southern railroad, 103 m. W. S. W. of Detroit; pop. in 1870, 4,381. It is the commercial centre of a fertile country. The river affords good water power, which has been improved. There are six or eight churches, two banks, two weekly newspapers, and a monthly periodical. In 1871 there were 18 schools, of which one was a high school, with 20 teachers and 1,128 pupils.
Coleman, a W. county of Texas, watered by Pecan bayou, Jim Ned creek, and other affluents of the Colorado; area, 1,000 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 347, of whom 7 were colored. The surface is broken and rocky, adapted to stock-raising. Timber is scarce, and the climate dry and salubrious. The chief productions in 1870 were 5,050 bushels of Indian corn, and 35 tons of hay. There were 14,198 cattle. Capital, Camp Colorado.
Coleraine, a maritime town and parliamentary borough of Ireland, county of Londonderry, situated on both sides of the river Bann, 4 m. from the sea, and 47 m. N. W. of Belfast, on the railway from Belfast to Portrush; pop. in 1871, 6,236. It is distinguished for the manufacture of a fine quality of linen called coleraines. It is fast improving in spinning and weaving factories, and also in pork-curing establishments. There is regular connection by steamer with Toome, and arrangements were completed at the beginning of 1873 to increase the depth of water in the river Bann, so as to enable larger vessels to discharge their cargoes on the quay of Coleraine. It is connected by a handsome bridge over the Bann with the village of Killowen or Waterside.