Colijmbium, a metal extracted from the mineral columbite, found in Connecticut. It was first discovered by Mr. Hatchett in 1801, and afterward by a Swedish chemist, who gave it the name of tantalum, having extracted the substance from tantalite. It was proved, however, by Dr. Wollaston, that this metal was identical with columbium, as is also the metal called by Rose niobium. It is of a yellowish white or gray color, and when burnished has a metallic lustre. The name columbium was probably given from its being originally discovered in North America.
Colimbo, Or Calumba, the root of cocculus palmatus or jateorrhiza palmata, and of J. cahunba, climbing plants of the order meni-spermacece, growing in Mozambique. The root is cut into transverse slices, which are from an eighth of an inch to near an inch in thickness, from one to two inches in diameter, and when of good quality of a tolerably bright yellow color in the cortical portion, somewhat lighter in the interior, and covered with a brownish wrinkled epidermis externally. Columbo contains a crystallizable neutral bitter principle, called colombine, and an alkaloid, berberina. Its medical virtues are those of a pure bitter, slightly if at all stimulating, and generally acceptable to the stomach. American columbo, the root of Frasera Walteri, of the order gentianaceae, and a false columbo from cosci-nium fenestration, belonging to the same order with the genuine, have been sold in Europe instead of the genuine.
College Hill, a post village of Hamilton co., Ohio, 6 m. N. of Cincinnati, and the seat , of two institutions of learning, viz.: Farmer's college, formerly Carey's academy, founded in 1846, and having in 1870 4 instructors and 45 students; and the Ohio female college, founded in 1848, and having in 1870 13 instructors, 130 students, and a library of 1,000 volumes.
Colleton, a S. county of South Carolina, bordering on the Atlantic, bounded S. W. by the Combahee river; area, 1,672 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 25,410, of whom 16,492 were colored. The Edisto, Ashepoo, and Salkehatchie are the principal rivers. Much of the land is flat, alluvial, and swampy; the drier parts are fertile. The palmetto and cabbage palm are here indigenous. The South Carolina and the Savannah and Charleston railroads traverse the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 207,927 bushels of Indian corn, 52,825 of sweet potatoes, 2,335 bales of cotton, 8,742,271 lbs. of rice, and 1,040 hhds. of sugar (all that was produced in the state except 15 hhds.). There were 1,679 horses, 4,264 milch cows, 6,237 other cattle, 3,314 sheep, and 17,508 swine. Capital Waterborough.
Collin, a N. E. county of Texas, watered by the E. fork of Trinity river and its tributaries; area, 870 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 14,013, of whom 1,653 were colored. About two thirds of the county is prairie, the rest timbered. Farming and stock raising are about equally pursued. The chief productions in 1870 were 42,827 bushels of wheat, 674,565 of Indian corn, 123,325 of oats, 32,159 of sweet potatoes, 204,-915 lbs. of butter, and 4,371 bales of cotton. There were 10,668 horses, 1,582 mules and asses, 5,065 milch cows, 15,360 other cattle, 4,812 sheep, and 15,550 swine. Capital, Mc-Kinney.