Comal, a S. W. central county of Texas, bounded S. W. by the Cibolo river, and intersected by the Guadalupe; area, 575 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 5,283, of whom 377 were colored. The surface is rolling, and in some parts mountainous; live oak and mezquite cover about one third of the land. The soil is fertile in the valleys, but fit only for grazing elsewhere. The county was settled by Germans. The chief productions in 1870 were 169,250 bushels of Indian corn, 3,972 of rye, 8,913 of sweet potatoes, 1,309 tons of hay, 69,305 lbs. of butter, and 1,303 bales of cotton. There were 3,993 horses, 5,978 milch cows, 15,413 other cattle, 1,783 sheep, and 2,671 swine; 1 cotton and woollen mill, 3 flour mills, 1 saw mill, 5 tanneries, and 15 manufactories of saddles and harness. Capital, New Braunfels.
An ancient city of Cappadocia (supposed to be the modern Bostan), on the river Sarus, celebrated in antiquity for its temple of Ma (the moon-goddess), or according to others of Enyo (Bellona), and for the great devotion of its inhabitants to the worship of that goddess. Over 6,000 persons were engaged in the service of the temple. The city was governed by the high priest, who was always a member of the reigning family, and took rank next to the king, if he did not exercise royal functions himself. II. A city of Pontus, on the river Iris, devoted to the same goddess as the Cappadocian Comana, of which it was believed to be a colony. On its site is now Gtimenek, about 7 m. N. E. of Tokat, and about 70 m. S. S. E. of Samsun on the Black sea.
Comanche. I. A N. W. Central County Of Texas, intersected by Leon river; area, 1,050 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,001, of whom 24 were colored. A mountain ridge forms its S. W. boundary; the rest of the surface is generally undulating and well timbered, about a third part being covered with oak, ash, elm, etc. The soil is fertile in the river bottoms, but unproductive in other places. Stock raising is the leading occupation. The native mustang grape is abundant. The chief productions in 1870 were 3,368 bushels of wheat, 39,292 of Indian corn, 1,722 of sweet potatoes, and 28 bales of cotton. There were 275 horses, 17,246 cattle, and 5,337 swine. Capital, Comanche. II. A S. W. county of Kansas, bordering on the Indian territory; area, 780 sq. m.; yet unsettled. It is intersected by the Nescatunga and Cimarron rivers.
Comeaut, a village and township on Con-neaut creek, Ashtabula co., Ohio, 2 m. from Lake Erie, and near the border of Pennsylvania; pop. of the township in 1870, 3,010; of the village, 1,163. It is memorable as the landing place of the first settlers of northern Ohio in 1796, whence it is sometimes called the Plymouth of the Western Reserve. It has a good harbor, with a lighthouse, contains a number of churches, schools, etc, and is the centre of an active commerce. The surrounding country is extremely productive. The Lake Shore railroad passes through the village.