A S. County Of Alabama Conecuh, drained by Escambia river, Burnt Corn creek, Murder creek, and Sepulgah river; pop. in 1870, 9,574, of whom 4,901 were colored. The former area was 1,430 sq. m., but a portion has recently been taken to form Escambia county. It has a hilly surface, with a sandy, sterile soil. The forests furnish large quantities of pine timber, which are conveyed down the Conecuh in small rafts. Near Brooklyn, in the E. part, is a large cave. The Mobile and Montgomery railroad passes through the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 92,177 bushels of Indian corn, 12,550 of sweet potatoes, and 1,539 bales of cotton. There were 425 horses, 1,769 milch cows, 2,298 sheep, and 4,433 swine. Capital, Sparta.
Conejos, the S. W. county of Colorado, bounded N. E. and E. by the Rio Grande, which also intersects the N. part, S. by New Mexico, and W. by Utah; area, over 11,000 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 2,504. It is watered by the Conejos and other tributaries of the Rio Grande, and also by tributaries of the San Juan. The surface is broken by mountains, the Sierra Madre and Sierra La Plata ranges traversing the county. There is a large area of arable land. The W. part is occupied by the Ute Indian reservation. The precious metals are found in the mountainous parts, but are little worked. Gypsum also occurs. The inhabitants are chiefly Mexicans and half-breeds. The chief productions in 1870 were 9,222 bushels of wheat, 852 of oats, 2,001 of potatoes, and 71,076 lbs. of wool. There were 548 horses, 1,791 milch cows, 2,178 other cattle, and 35,538 sheep. Capital, Guadalupe.
Conewango Creek, a stream which rises in the N. W. corner of Cattaraugus co., N. Y., flows in a general S. direction, receiving the waters of the outlet of Chautauqua lake, and joins the Alleghany river at Warren, Warren co., Pa. By means of this creek and its outlets there is boat navigation from the gulf of Mexico to within 10 m. of Lake Erie.
Coney Island, a barren strip of white sand at the S. W. extremity of Long Island, 9 m. S. of New York city, 4 m. long and 1/2 m. broad. It is but slightly separated from the mainland. During the summer season it is much resorted to by pleasure-seekers, and on holidays especially is crowded by multitudes who flock from the neighboring cities to enjoy the sea air and bathing. It is connected by rail with Brooklyn, and by steamboats with New York.
Congaree, a river of South Carolina, formed by the union of the Broad and Saluda at Columbia, near the centre of the state. After a course of about 50 m. it receives the Wateree, below which it is called the Santee. The river is navigable by steamboats to Columbia.