Conversano, a town of S. Italy, in the province and 18 m. S. E. of the city of Bari; pop. about 10,000. It is the seat of a bishop, and contains a castle, a fine cathedral, a Benedictine nunnery, and several convents. In the middle ages it was for some time the capital of the Norman conquerors of southern Italy.
Cook's Islands, Or Harvey Archipelago, a group of islands in the Pacific, lying S. of Polynesia, between the archipelago of Tonga on the west and Tahiti on the east, in lat. 20° S., lon. 157° W. The largest are Mangeia, Atiou, Harvey, and Raratonga. They are inhabited by people of the Malay race, most of whom have been converted to Christianity by English missionaries. Raratonga is a centre of Protestant missions in the Pacific islands. The population is estimated at 11,500, of whom 5,000 belong to Mangeia, 3,500 to Raratonga, and 1,000 to Atiou.
Cook's Strait, a passage separating the northern and middle islands of the New Zealand group. Its discovery by Capt. Cook dissipated the belief then prevalent that New Zealand was part of a great southern continent. It varies from 30 to 80 m. in width. Wellington and Nelson, two of the largest towns of the English colony, are on this strait, the shores of which are subject to occasional earthquakes.
Cookstown, a town of Ireland, county Tyrone, situated on the Belfast and Northern Counties railway, 10 m. N. of Dungannon; pop. in 1871, 3,653. It contains a Protestant church, a Roman Catholic church, two Methodist and three Presbyterian chapels; and in the vicinity is the union workhouse. The flax market is among the largest in Ulster.
Cooper River, in South Carolina, rises in the central portion of Charleston county, and flowing S. E. unites with the Ashley below Charleston, forming the harbor of that city. It is navigable by small vessels for 30 m. to the Santee canal, 21 m. long, connecting it with the Santee.
Cooperstown, a post village and the capital of Otsego county, N. Y., 60 m. W. of Albany; pop. about 1,800. Situated at the outlet of Otsego lake, which is embosomed in hills 400 ft. high, it presents some of the most beautiful and picturesque scenery in the state. The village is noted as having been the residence of James Fenimore Cooper, by whose father, Judge William Cooper, it was founded, and has of late years become a popular summer resort.
Copais, Or Topolias, a celebrated lake in Boeotia, the largest in Greece, 47 m. in circumference. It is formed by the Cephissus and the numerous small streams which descend from the surroundiug hills. Its waters empty into the Euripus through subterraneous passages in the surrounding limestone. (See BOEotia).
Copiah, a S. W. county of Mississippi, lying W. of Pearl river, which at times is navigable thus far for small boats; former area, 960 sq. m., but in 1870 a portion was taken off to form Lincoln county; pop. in 1870, 20,608, of whom 10,370 were colored. It is watered by bayou Pierre. The New Orleans, Jackson, and Great Northern railroad passes through it. The name in the Indian language means screech owl. The chief productions in 1870 were 408,003 bushels of Indian corn, 17,864 of peas and beans, 55,725 of sweet potatoes, and 15,-653 bales of cotton. There were 2,677 horses, 2,049 mules and asses, 4,189 milch cows, 8,492 other cattle, 5,845 sheep, and 20,622 swine; 12 saw mills, 1 tannery, 1 cotton mill, 1 woollen mill, 6 carriage factories, and 1 turning and carving establishment. Capital, Gallatin.