Corning, a post village and township of' Steuben co., N. Y., on the New York and Erie, the Corning and Blossburg, and the Buffalo, Corning, and New York railroads, and on the Chemung river, 13 m. N. W. of Elmira; pop. of the township in 1870, 6,502; of the village, 4,018. It is pleasantly situated at the foot of a hill, and has communication by bridges with Knoxville and Centreville, on the opposite bank of the river. It has an extensive trade in lumber and coal, large quantities of the former being annually sent from here down the Susquehanna. A navigable feeder of the Che-mung canal connects it through Seneca lake with the Erie canal. There are several factories, and two weekly newspapers.
Cornucopia (Lat. cornu, a horn, and copia, abundance), called also the horn of Amalthsea, and the horn of plenty, an emblem of riches and abundance. According to an ancient Greek legend, the infant Zeus was tended by the daughter of Melissus, king of Crete, and was nurtured upon the milk of the goat Amal-thaea. He rewarded her care by breaking off one of the horns of the goat, and presenting it to her, endowed with the power of being filled with whatever was desired, whenever the possessor wished. According to Ovid, Amaltheea was the name of the daughter who presented the horn to Jupiter filled with fresh herbs and fruit. Among the Romans the cornucopia was the proper symbol of Fortuna, but other goddesses and Roman empresses are represented in statues bearing it on the left arm. The cornucopia appears on the most ancient Greek drinking vessels, and on many ancient coins, and the volutes of Ionic columns were often sculptured to represent it.
A post village and township of Litchfield co., Conn., 37 m. W. by N. of Hartford; pop. of the township in 1870, 1,772. The village is situated about 2 m. E. of the Housatonic railroad, which follows the course of the river of that name through the township. A foreign mission school was established here in 1818 for the purpose of qualifying converts from paganism to preach the gospel to their countrymen, and in 1820 it contained 29 pupils, of whom 19 were American Indians and 10 natives of Pacific islands. It was subsequently discontinued. II. A town of Orange co., N: Y., on the W. bank of the Hudson, 5 m. S. of Newburgh, containing the villages of Cornwall Landing and West Point; pop. in 1870, 5,989. "Idlewild," the former residence of N. P. Willis, occupies a lofty plateau above and N. of Cornwall Landing. The town is much frequented as a summer resort.
Coronach, a lamentation at funerals, formerly prevalent throughout Scotland and Ireland, and still common in parts of those countries. The of the Greeks and ulula-tus of the Latins designated similar practices among the classical nations; and the resemblance of these words to the common Celtic cries on funeral occasions, uloghone and hul-luhi, indicates an etymological affinity. Combined cries of lamentation were intermingled with expostulations and reproaches bestowed upon the deceased for leaving the world, and the wailing was continued by a train of females which followed the corpse to the burial.