Critolaus, an Achaean, who incited his countrymen to insurrection against the Romans. He commanded the Achaean army at the battle of Scarphea, 146 B. C, and when overthrown by Metellus, he either committed suicide or perished in the marshes of the coast.
Crocker, a N central county of Iowa, bounded 1ST. by Minnesota, and bordering on Winnebago, Kossuth, and Emmet counties; area, about 500 sq. m. It has been recently formed, and is not included in the census of 1870. The E. fork of the Des Moines intersects the S. W. part. Capital, Greenwood Centre.
Cross, An E. County Of Arkansas, intersected by the St. Francis river; area, about 625 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 3,915, of whom 1,289 were colored. It was formed in 1862 from portions of Crittenden, Poinsett, and St. Francis counties. The surface is level, and portions are swampy, but the rest is generally fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 77,408 bushels of Indian corn, 3,971 of oats, 2,235 of Irish and 6,461 of sweet potatoes, and 1,719 bales of cotton. There were 763 horses, 1,108 milch cows, 1,967 other cattle, and 6,330 swine. Capital, Wittsburg.
Croton, a river of New York, rising in Dutchess county, flows through Putnam and Westchester counties, and enters the Hudson river about 25 m. above New York city. It supplies that city with water through the Cro-ton aqueduct. (See Aqueduct).
Crotona, Or Croton, an ancient Greek colony and city of southern Italy, near the mouth of the river Aesarus, on the E. coast of the Brut-tlan peninsula. It was founded by a body of Achasans and Spartans, probably about 710 B. C, and soon became distinguished for size, wealth, and power. According to Livy, its walls enclosed a space 12 m. in circumference. In the war with Sybaris, 510 B. C., Crotona is said to have sent into the field 100,000 men, and to have conquered a Sybarite force of 300,000 and destroyed their town. Sometime afterward (according to others at an earlier period) the Crotonians were themselves defeated by the Locrians and Rhegians near the river Sagras. Their national decline was rapid. In the second Punic war they were no longer able to defend their own walls, and a few years later a Roman colony was sent out to recruit the exhausted population of the city. Crotona was celebrated in ancient times as the seat of the school of Pythagoras.
Crow Wing, a central county of Minnesota, bounded N. W. by the Mississippi river; area, about 590 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 200. The Northern Pacific railroad crosses it, and the St. Paul and Pacific railroad is to be extended through the S. W. part. The estimated value of farm productions in 1870 was $6,362; of live stock, $9,075. Capital, Crow Wing.
Crown Point, a town of Essex co., N. Y., on the W. shore of Lake Champlain, about 90 m. N. of Albany; pop. in 1870, 2,449. It joins the town of Ticonderoga on the south, and is traversed by the S. division of the Whitehall and Plattsburgh railroad. It is principally noted as the site of Fort Frederick, now in ruins, erected by the French in 1731. The fort came into the hands of the British in 1759, and with its garrison of 12 men was taken in May, 1775, by a detachment of Americans under Seth Warner, forming part of the force with which Ethan Allen surprised Fort Ticonderoga.