Cumberland River, a stream which rises in the Cumberland mountains near the S. E. boundary of Kentucky, flows W. and S. W., and enters Tennessee between Jackson and Overton counties. After a circuit of nearly 250 m. through the middle of Tennessee, it makes a bend to the N. W., recrosses the Kentucky border about 10 m. from the Tennessee river, and runs nearly parallel with that stream until it joins the Ohio at Smithland. Its whole course is estimated at over 000 m. At high water it is navigable by steamboats to Nashville, 200 m. from its mouth, and by small boats for nearly 500 m. Not far from Williamsburg, Ky., it has a remarkable vertical fall of 60 ft. It drains an area of about 17,000 sq. m.
Cumin Seed, the fruit or seed of the cuminum cyminum, an umbelliferous plant, cultivated in the East from the remotest times for its seeds, which have a bitter and aromatic taste and a peculiar odor. The Latin poets allude to their power of producing languor. They are obtained in Egypt, Greece, Malta, and Sicily. They are little used in medicine.
Cuming, a N. E. county of Nebraska, intersected by the N. branch of the Elkhorn river; area, 400 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 2,964. The Omaha and Northwestern railroad is to pass through it, and the Elkhorn Valley road is to run near the S. W. corner. The surface is undulating prairie, interspersed with timbered bottom lands; the soil is fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 91,381 bushels of wheat, 80,786 of Indian corn, 60,955 of oats, 11,809 of barley, 20,694 of potatoes, and 6,708 tons of hay. There were 831 horses, 720 milch cows, 1,210 other cattle, 820 sheep, and 3,065 swine. Capital, West Point.
Cundurango, the wood and bark of a vine which grows in Ecuador, and belongs to the family asclepiadaceae. It was brought to the notice of the profession and the public in the United States as a cure for cancer in 1871, under the patronage of the department of state, and was sold at enormous prices. The only efficacy which can be attributed to it, on theoretical grounds, is that it belongs to the class of aromatic bitters. Experience has shown that for the cure of cancer or any other chronic disease it is entirely inert.
Cupar, a royal and parliamentary borough of Scotland, capital of Fifeshire, on the left bank of the Eden, 10 m. W. of St. Andrew's; pop. in 1871, 5,105. The town has manufactures of coarse linens, corn, barley, and flour mills, and a flourishing academy. It is called Cupar Fife to distinguish it from Cupar Augus, Perthshire.
Curate (Lat. curare, to take care of, so called from having the care of souls), the lowest degree of clerical rank in the church of England. The curate is the substitute or assistant of the actual incumbent, but there are perpetual curacies, where there is neither rector nor vicar, but the tithes having been appropriated, the lay appropriator is obliged to appoint a curate at a stipend. In lacge parishes more than one curate is usually appointed. There are also curates in chapels of ease, and in the modern foundations known as district churches, which belong to ecclesiastical subdivisions within parishes, and are subordinate to the rector or vicar in some matters, though independent in others. By act 1 and 2 Victoria the lowest stipend required to be paid a curate is £80, the sum rising in proportion to the population of the cure to £150.