See Plymouth Brethren.
A district in the S. W. part of ancient Moesia, now included in Servia and Prisrend. It was inhabited by a fierce and barbarous race, almost continually at war with Macedonia. It was made a Roman province by C. Scribonius Curio, who was awarded a triumph in 71 B. C. for his conquest. In the reign of Constantine it became a part of the prefecture of eastern Illyricum. Its chief city, Scupi, is the modern Uskup. II. A district of ancient Mysia, along the Hellespont, and, according to Strabo, N. of Troas; but its position cannot be accurately defined. Dardanus, the city from which it derived its name, was situated on a promontory called Dardanium by Pliny and Dardanis by Strabo, about 70 stadia from Abydos. A more ancient town of Dardanus, according to the Iliad, was situated at the foot of Mount Ida.
Dardanus, according to ancient legends, the ancestor of the Trojans. The Greek tradition was that he was a king in Arcadia, and that he went from that country to Samothrace, whence he passed over into Asia Minor, and founded the town called after him. The Italian legend said that Dardanus was a native of Etruria, and thence went to Samothrace.
Dare, a N. E. county of North Carolina, recently formed from portions of Currituck, Hyde, and Tyrrell counties, bounded N. by Albermarle sound, W. by Alligator river, and including several low sandy islands along the Atlantic coast; area, about 350 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 2,778, of whom 377 were colored. The main portion is swampy, and forests of cypress, red cedar, and pine abound. Capital, Manteo, on Roanoke island.
Daric (Gr. ), an ancient Persian coin of pure gold, specimens of which are still preserved in several European collections, bearing on one side the image of a kneeling archer, on the other that of a royal palla. It was known to the Greeks, Romans, and Jews; and the last named used it after the Babylonish captivity, under the reign of the Persians, calling it adarlcon or darlcemon (mentioned in Chronicles, Ezra, and Nehemiah). Its value was equal to 20 silver drachmae, or 16s. 3d.; 3,000 being equal (according to Xenophon) to 10 talents. Its name is variously derived from that of King Darius Hystaspis, who regulated the Persian currency, and from several Persian words jneaning king, palace, and bow. The so-called silver darics were not designated by this name in antiquity.
Darke, a W. county of Ohio, bordering on Indiana; area, 609 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 32,-278. The soil is fertile, and the surface generally level, occupied partly by small prairies, and partly by forests of beech, ash, walnut, hickory, and sugar maple. The Columbus, Chicago, and Indiana Central, the Dayton and Union, and the Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis railroads traverse it. The chief productions in 1870 were 792,203 bushels of wheat, 1,063,030 of Indian corn, 330,352 of oats, 51,854 of barley, 25,387 of flaxseed, 70,-101 of potatoes, 16,558 tons of hay, 738,243 lbs. of butter, 63,323 of wool, and 167,989 of tobacco. There were 9,942 horses, 9,089 milch cows, 11,631 other cattle, 20,235 sheep, and 31,522 swine; 9 flour mills, 29 saw mills, 24 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 6 of furniture, 7 of bricks, 2 of sashes, doors, and blinds, 3 breweries, 7 tanneries, and 7 currying establishments. Capital, Greenville.