Dera Ghazee Euan, a large town of the Punjaub, British India, 4 m. from the right bank of the Indus, and 40 m. W. by S. of Mool-tan; pop. about 25,000, half Hindoos and half Mohammedans. It has 125 Hindoo temples and 160 mosques, and a bazaar with 1,600 shops; also manufactories of silk, cotton, and mixed fabrics, and coarse cutlery. Being at the intersection of two great routes of travel, it has considerable trade.
Derayeh, Or Derbidjeh, a town of Arabia, in Nedjed, lat. 24° 30' N., Ion. 46° 38' E., 385 m. E. of Medina. It lies in a fertile and well watered valley at the foot of Mount Khur, and in the earlier part of this century was famous as the capital and stronghold of the Wahabees. It was then strongly fortified in the oriental style, and contained 40,000 inhabitants, 30 mosques, and 30 schools. In 1819 it was taken and destroyed by Ibrahim Pasha in the war for the suppression of the Wahabees. Although that sect is again dominant in Nedjed, Dera-yeh remains a mass of ruins and its environs are uncultivated, as it is considered unlucky to rebuild or reinstate a city so completely overthrown; and their seat of government is now Riad, about 10 m. S. E.
Derbyshire Spar, a variety of fluor spar found in Derbyshire, England, which is distinguished by its fine shades of purple, blue, red, and yellow. These, together with the soundness of the stone, render it well adapted for ornamental purposes. The manufacture of cups, tables, vases, inkstands, and other objects, is extensively carried on in several towns of the county, as at Derby, Buxton, Castleton, and Bakewell. The stone takes a high polish for one so soft; but the property which renders it easy to be worked makes it liable to be soon defaced by scratches. It is found near Castleton in fissures in the limestone rocks.
Des Plaines, Or Lux Plaines (Indian Appellation, She-Shik-Mah-O), a river of Illinois, rising in the S. E. part of Wisconsin, flowing S. and S. W., and uniting with the Kankakee at Dresden, Grundy co., to form the Illinois. It is about 150 m. long, and derives its name from a species of maple called by the French plaine.
Desert Of Cobi. See Gobi.
Desful, Or Dizful, a city of Persia, in the province of Khuzistan, on the E. bank of a river of the same name, 25 m. W. N. W. of Shus-ter; pop. estimated at 15,000. It is the principal mart of the province, and has a fine bridge of 22 arches, said to have been built by command of the celebrated Sapor. Indigo, oranges, and lemons are raised in the neighborhood. About 10 m. S. W. of the city are mounds of ruins, the foundations of which are of stone, and the upper portions of brick, which cover the site of the ancient city of Susa, and beds of large canals, supposed to be of Sassa-nian origin.
Desha, a S. E. county of Arkansas, separated from Mississippi by the Mississippi river, and intersected by Arkansas and White rivers; area, about 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 6,125, of whom 3,934 were colored. The area has recently been diminished by the taking of a portion for Lincoln county. The surface is low, level, and subject to inundation. The chief productions in 1870 were 94,797 bushels of Indian corn, 11,387 of sweet potatoes, 7,041 of Irish potatoes, and 8,166 bales of cotton. There were 804 horses, 1,018 mules and asses, 1,397 milch cows, 2,811 other cattle, and 7,042 swine. Capital, Napoleon.