Desna,

Desna, a river of Russia, which rises in the government of Smolensk, flows through those of Orel and Tchernigov, and falls into the Dnieper a few miles above Kiev. It is a fine stream, abounding in fish, and navigable for the greater part of its course of about 500 miles.

Detmold,

Detmold, a city of Germany, capital of the principality of Lippe-Detmold, on the right bank of the river Wei-re, 46 m. S. W. of Hanover; pop. in 1871, 6,469. The old portion of the town is very poorly built; the new is regularly laid out and well built. It is surrounded by a wall pierced by three gates, and contains a fine palace of ancient date. It has a gymnasium, a normal school, a female high school, a large public library, and one of the best poorhouses in Germany. The manufactures are chiefly of leather, woollens, linen, and beer; and there are marble and gypsum quarries. Near the town was fought the battle in which Arminius destroyed the Roman army under Varus, A. D. 9; and also a battle between Charlemagne and the Saxons in 783. The former is commemorated by a copper statue 45 ft. high on a pedestal of solid sandstone 90 ft. high, erected by the German princes in 1838.

Deuel,

Deuel, an E. county of Dakota, bordering on Minnesota; area, about 650 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 37. Its surface is broken by the Coteau des Prairies, and it is watered by several lakes and by affluents of the Big Sioux and Minnesota rivers.

Deutz

Deutz (Lat. Tuitium), an old town and fortress of Prussia, in the province of the Rhine, on the right bank of the Rhine, opposite Cologne, with which it is connected by an iron bridge; pop. in 1871, 11,881. Among its finest buildings are the ancient church of St. Heribert, the new Protestant church, and the cavalry barracks. It has manufactories of velvet, ribbons, glass and china ware, chemicals and machines, and an iron foundery.. It has a good harbor, and a new impulse has been given to the trade of the town by the Cologne and Minden railway, which begins here. The fortifications were razed after the peace of Nime-guen in 1678, but were rebuilt in 1816, and have recently been enlarged. The town dates its origin from a castle built here in the 4th century by Constantine the Great.

Deux Ponts

See Zweibeucken.

Deux Sevres

Deux Sevres, a W. department of France, in the old provinces of Poitou and Angou-mois, bordering on Maine-et-Loire, Vienne, Charente, Charente-Inférieure, and Vendée; area, 2,317 sq. m.; pop. in 1872, 331,243. A chain of hills which have a mean height of 450 ft. traverses the department S. E. and N. W., dividing it into two distinct portions. The Sèvre-Nantaise and Sèvre-Nior-taise, which rise in the department and give it its name, flow respectively N. W. to the Loire at Nantes and W. to the Atlantic, passing Niort. The Thouet and several other small rivers also have their sources here. The department is traversed by seven canals. Iron, rock crystals, and saltpetre are found. The vineyards in the S. W. part produce good brandy and white wines. There are manufactories of woollen, linen, and cotton goods, leather, earthenware, brandy, cutlery, and paper. It is divided into the arrondissements of Bressuire, Melle, Niort, and Parthenay. Capital, Niort.