Dillingen, a town of Bavaria, in the circle of Swabia, on the Danube, 22 m. N. W. of Augsburg; pop. about 5,500. The university, founded in 1549, and from 1564 to 1773 under the management of the Jesuits, was abolished in 1804. There is now a lycemn with a library of 75,000 volumes. Other conspicuous buildings are the Jesuit college, the palace of the bishops of Augsburg, and a royal castle. It has an asylum for the deaf and dumb. A new bridge has recently been thrown over the Danube, and a canal to Lauingen has been constructed to avoid the windings of the river between the two places. The town belonged to the bishop of Augsburg till 1803, when he was deprived of his secular estates.
Dilman, a town of Persia, in the province of Azerbijan, 75 m. W. by N. of Tabriz, on a stream flowing E. into the N. end of Lake Urumiah, 10 m. distant; pop. about 15,000. It is a modern town, situated in an extensive and fertile valley, and surrounded by gardens, with more cleanly streets than those of older Persian towns. About 4 m. W. is a decayed ancient town of the same name.
Dimsdale, 'Thomas, an English physician, born at Thoydon-Garnon, Essex, in 1712, died in Hertford, Dec. 30, 1800. He was noted for his zeal in promoting inoculation for the smallpox, and was invited to Russia by Catharine II. in 1768, for the purpose of inoculating herself and her son. He afterward visited Frederick II. of Prussia at Sans-Souci, and then returned to England, where in 1776 he published a treatise on inoculation, which was translated into all the European languages. In 1780 he was elected to the house of commons, and in 1781 made a second professional visit to Russia. He also published several pamphlets on inoculation.
Dinagepoor, a town of Bengal, India, capital of a district of the same name, in lat. 25° 34' N., Ion. 88° 45' E., 210 m. N. of Calcutta; pop. about 30,000. The town has a large square in the centre surrounded with shops, but there are no public buildings of any consequence, although it is the seat of the British judicial and revenue courts. There are no temples and but one mosque, which is small and without architectural pretensions. The dwellings of the Europeans are large and commodious, but exhibit no taste, while those of the natives are mere huts. The trade of the place is inconsiderable.
Dinant, a town of Belgium, on the Meuse, 14 m. S. of Namur; pop. about 7,000. It is situated at the base of limestone cliffs, on the summit of which are a citadel and a chapel. The cliffs are accessible by winding stairs cut in the rock from terrace to terrace nearly up to the walls of the fortress. The town has only one narrow street, with a small market place. In the vicinity are quarries of black marble; and there are some manufactures. Dinant cakes, made of honey and rye flour, are famous. Brass and copper ware are called from this place dinanderies. Dinant was sacked in 1466 by Philip the Good of Burgundy, in his warfare against Louis XL, and again in 1554 by the duke of Nevers, who served under Henry II. against Charles V.; and it was captured by the French in 1675.