Dooly, a S. W. county of Georgia, with a level surface, watered by many small creeks, oounded W. by Flint river; area, 530 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 9,790, of whom 4,855 were colored. Pine forests occupy much of the land, but the soil is fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 149,987 bushels of Indian corn, 9,485 of oats, 20,881 of sweet potatoes, 4,132 bales of cotton, and 16,349 gallons of molasses. There were 657 horses, 1,636 milch cows, 3,857 other cattle, 5,592 sheep, and 10,104 swine. Capital, Vienna.
Doon, a lake and river of Scotland, in Ayrshire. Loch Doon is about 6 m. in length, and at no place exceeds three quarters of a mile in breadth. It is enclosed by the Star mountains of Kirkcudbright, abounds in trout, and has an islet on which stands an old castle, reputed to have been once the residence of Edward, brother of Robert Bruce. The river Doon issues from the lake, flows for about a mile through a wild ravine called Ness Glen, and after a N. W. course of 18 m. falls into the frith of Clyde, 2 m. S. of Ayr. About a mile from the sea, close by the river, stands a monument to Burns.
Door, a X. E. county of Wisconsin, consisting of a narrow peninsula between Green bay and Lake Michigan; area, 625 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,919. The chief productions in 1870 were 34,585 bushels of wheat, 22,103 of oats, 43,157 of potatoes, 1,835 tons of hay, and 56,861 lbs. of butter. The total value of live stock was $103,639. Capital, Gibraltar.
Dorak, a town of Persia, in the province of Khuzistan, situated at the junction of a small river of the same name with the Jeralii, about 30 m. from where the latter empties into the Persian gulf, and about 90 m. S. of Sinister; pop. variously estimated from 6,000 to 12,000. It stands upon a marshy plain, and is defended by mud walls and a fort, and surrounded by date plantations. There is a palace of the governor built of brick, which has long been falling into decay. There are manufactures of Arabian fabrics and garments, and a considerable commerce by means of the canal connecting the Dorak and the Karun, and exports to all parts of Persia and Arabia.
Dorchester (anc. Durnovaria), a municipal and parliamentary borough of England, capital of Dorsetshire, near the river Frome, 113 m. S. W. of London; pop. in 1871, 6,915. It contains three churches, several dissenting chapels, schools and charitable institutions, a theatre, large cavalry barracks, and a county museum. It has considerable trade in beer, butter, sheep, and lambs. The Romans surrounded it with a wall. Athelstan made it the seat of two mints, and during the civil war it witnessed many severe battles. After the duke of Monmouth's rebellion in 1685, the assizes were held here by Jeffreys, who sentenced 109 of the insurgents to death, 13 of whom were executed. In the vicinity are the remains of a Roman amphitheatre with seats for 13,000 spectators, and a camp, and of a British station called Maiden castle.