Dorking, a market town and parish of Surrey, England, situated in a beautiful valley on the left bank of the Mole, 20 m. S. S. W. of London; pop. about 4,000. It is noted for its romantic scenery. The Dorking fowls, celebrated for their excellent qualities, are supposed to have been introduced here by the Romans. They are usually white or of a partridge color, and have five claws on each foot. The neighboring country contains many beautiful residences, among which are Deepdene, the seat of the late Thomas Hope, and the Rookery, where Malthus was born.
Dornbirn, a town of Vorarlberg, Austria, 6 m. S. of Bregenz; pop. in 1870, 8,486. It has a flourishing industry, chiefly consisting of the construction of wooden houses, which are exported, and of manufactures of cotton goods and embroidery. It was formerly an imperial village.
Dorog, the name of several towns of Hungary, the most important of which is situated in the circle beyond the Theiss, 20 m. N. N. W. of Debreczin, and belongs to the Hayduk district; pop. in 1870, 6,872. It is surrounded by marshy tracts of great fertility, but deficient in wood, and is an important market for grain, cattle, and horses. It contains a Greek non-united and a Roman Catholic parish church.
Dorogobuzh, a town of Russia, capital of a district in the government and 55 m. E. N. E. of the city of Smolensk, on the Dnieper; pop. in 1867, 8,467. An encounter took place here, Oct. 27, 1812, between the rear guard of the retreating French and the Russians. The French partly burned the town.
Dorosma, a town of Hungary, in the district of Little Cumania, 6 m. W. by N. of Szegedin; pop. in 1870, 9,688. It contains a Roman Catholic high school.
Dorp, a town of Prussia, in the province of the Rhine, situated on the Wupper, 17 m. N. E. of Cologne; pop. in 1871, 10,690. It has considerable manufactures of tobacco, paper, steel, and hardware, and is growing rapidly.
Dorsibranchiates, a division of worms, swimming free in the sea, or living in the mud and sand, whose organs of respiration are in the form of tufts or branchial appendages arranged along the back or sides. The lob-worm (arenicola piscatorum), so much prized as bait in Europe, attains the size of the finger, and species of eunice have been found 4 ft. long.
Dortmund, a town of Prussia, in the province of Westphalia, 31 m. S. by W. of Munster; pop. in 1871, 44,454. It is enclosed by walls, has five gates, several churches, two hospitals, and some other public buildings, manufactories of woollen, linen, cotton, etc, four annual fairs, and a considerable trade. It was important at an early day, and was a member of the Hanse-atic league, but its prosperity afterward declined. Formerly a free imperial city, it passed to the family of Nassau-Diez in 1802, and into the hands of Prussia in 1815.