Dositheans

Dositheans, an ancient sect of the Samaritans, so called from their founder Dositheus, who was a companion of Simon Magns, and flourished in the 1st century A. D. According to one account, Dositheus was a disciple of John the Baptist, and, after the death of the latter, endeavored to place himself at the head of the followers of that prophet. Another account tells us that he tried to persuade the Samaritans to receive him as the Messiah. There were still in the 4th century a few Do-sitheans who adhered to their master as the true Messiah, but the sect was never important.

Dost Mohammed

See Afghanistan.

Dotis, Or Totis

Dotis, Or Totis(Hung. Tata), a town of Hungary, in the county and 12 m. S. E. of the town of Comorn, and 37 m. W. N. W. of Pesth; pop. in 1870, 9,855. It is in two parts, one on a hill, and the other on the shore of a little lake, separated by the ruins of a castle once the residence of King Matthias Corvinus. On the lake is the castle of Count Nicholas Ester-hazy, famous for its extensive wine vaults, in one of which is a tun of 34,700 gallons, which is generally full. The castle has a fine garden laid out in the English manner. There are several churches, a Piarist college with a gymnasium, a high school, and a military hospital. There are numerous mills and manufactories of woollens and stone ware, and a large market for sheep. Near the town are warm baths and mineral springs, valuable quarries, and Roman remains.

Douarnenez

Douarnenez, a town of France, in the department of Finistere, situated on a bay of the same name, 20 m. S. of Brest; pop. in 1866, 5,434. It has a considerable coasting trade and extensive fisheries.

Doubloon

Doubloon (Sp. doblon), a gold coin of Spain and Spanish America, originally valued at $16. Its subdivisions in gold were the half doubloon, the quarter or pistole, the eighth or escudo, and in Spain the sixteenth or veinten. It is still coined in Mexico, Central America, and most of the South American states, but owing to a reduction of fineness is worth only from $15 37 to $15 01. (See Coins.)

Dougherty

Dougherty, a S. W. county of Georgia, intersected by Flint river; area, 300 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 11,517, of whom 9,424 were colored. The surface is level; the soil fertile. The Southwestern railroad and the Albany branch of the Atlantic and Gulf line cross it. The chief productions in 1870 were 228,223 bushels of Indian corn, 12.365 of oats, and 14,034 bales of cotton. There were 1,860 mules and asses, 1,168 milch cows, 2,095 other cattle, and 3,422 swine; 2 machine shops, 1 manufactory of sashes, doors, and blinds, and 1 flour mill. Capital, Albany.

Dour

Dour, a town of Belgium, in the province of Hainault, 9 m. S. W. of Mons; pop. in 1866, 8,501. It has large iron works and several bleaching grounds, and in the vicinity are coal and iron mines. Weaving and leather dressing are carried on to some extent.