Draguignan, a town of France, capital of the department of Var, 41 m. N. E. of Toulon; pop. in 1869, 9,819. It lies in a fertile valley, surrounded by high hills covered with rich vineyards, and is well built, with several elegant edifices and numerous fountains. It contains a library of about 20,000 volumes, a cabinet of medals and of natural history, law courts, a botanic garden, a communal college, and a fine clock tower. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in the silk mills and soap works of the environs, and in preparing and selling olive oil. Draguignan was founded in the 5th century. It suffered greatly in the religious wars of the 16th and 17th centuries.
Dram Burg, a town of Prussia, in the province of Pomerania, 53 m. E. by N. of Stettin; pop. in 1871, 5,473. It has a Protestant gymnasium, a normal school, and several woollen factories, tanneries, and distilleries.
Drammen, a commercial town of Norway, on the S. coast, in the province and 20 m. S. W. of the city of Christiania; pop. in 1866, 13,032. It lies on both sides of the river Drammen, and is composed of three small villages, separated by channels of the river. The commerce of which Drammen is the centre gives it the third rank among the cities of Norway, and in respect to its timber trade it stands first. It manufactures tobacco, earth-ernware, sail cloth, rope, carriages, leather, etc.; and besides exporting timber, has a commerce in iron ware and agricultural produce. About 40,000 tons of shipping are annually employed in its port. It suffered considerably in 1850 and 1857 from conflagrations.
Dranesville, a village of Halifax co., Virginia, 20 m. W. by N. of Washington, where a battle was fought Dec. 20, 1861, by a brigade of the Union army of the Potomac under Gen. Ord, and a confederate detachment under Gen. Stuart. The engagement was mainly an artillery duel, in which, the Union guns being better served, the confederates suffered most, and withdrew. The Union loss was 69 killed and wounded; that of the confederates more than twice as many. This skirmish was the first success gained by the army of the Potomac, and called forth a special congratulatory letter from the secretary of war.
See Ethnology, p. 758.
Drew, a S. E. county of Arkansas, drained by Bartholomew bayou and affluents of the Saline river; pop. in 1870, 9,960, of whom 3,854 were colored. The area was about 900 sq. m., but a portion has recently been taken for Lincoln county. It is nearly level, and has a fertile soil. A great part of the land is covered by forests of cypress, ash, etc. The chief productions in 1870 were 8,828 bushels of wheat, 222,140 of Indian corn, 9,850 of oats, 32,775 of sweet potatoes, and 6,661 bales of cotton. There were 1,284 horses, 3,079 milch cows, 6,111 other cattle, and 12,613 swine. Capital, Monticello.