Dryads

Dryads (Gr.Dryads 0600143 an oak,) wood nymphs in the Greek and Roman mythology. They are generally considered the same as the hamadryads, and, being attached to particular trees, their life was limited by that of the tree in which they lived. Another account is that the dryads were the patrons of forests and trees in general, and were thus distinguished from the hamadryads, who inhabited each a particular tree.

Drying Oils

A number of vegetable oils, as linseed, nut, poppy seed, and some others, exhibit a strong tendency to absorb oxygen from the air, and, when exposed in thin layers, to dry into a resinous kind of varnish. The addition of a small quantity of oxide of lead greatly accelerates the process. These oils are consequently well suited for mixing with coloring matters to form paint for wood work. They impart no color of their own, and serve to bind and secure the color to the wood, which they also aid to protect by their resinous coat. The so-called greasy oils have no such tendency to dry by exposure, but become rancid.

Du Page

Du Page, a N. E. county of Illinois, drained by the E. and W. branches of Du Page river; area, 340 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 16,685. It has a level surface, occupied in great part by prairies. The soil is exceedingly fertile. The Chicago and Northwestern and the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy railroads traverse it, and the Chicago, Rock Island, and Pacific railroad crosses the S. E. corner. The Illinois and Michigan canal passes along the S. E. border. The chief productions in 1870 were 106,789 bushels of wheat, 331,981 of Indian corn, 860,809 of oats, 72,062 of barley, 141,599 of potatoes, 52,430 tons of hay, 58,504 lbs. ot cheese, 548,453 of butter, and 153,611 of wool. There were 6,247 horses, 10,888 milch cows, 7,621 other cattle, 26,932 sheep, and 9,253 swine; 15 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 2 of machinery, 8 of saddlery and harness, 2 breweries, and 6 flour mills. Capital, Naperville.

Dualline

See Explosives.

Dubno

Dubno, a town of European Russia, in the government of Volhynia, on the Ikva, 36 m. N. E. of Brody; pop. in 1867, 7,628. It has narrow, crooked, and unpaved streets, and belongs to the princes Lubormirski, whose residence is here. The town contains several Greek and Roman Catholic churches, a Greek abbey, and a grammar school. Its trade is chiefly in grain, flax, tobacco, cattle, and fish.

Dubois

Dubois, a S. W. county of Indiana, bounded N. by the E. fork of White river, and intersected by Patoka creek; area, 420 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 12,597. It has a slightly diversified surface, and is covered with thick forests; the soil is good, and coal is abundant. The chief productions in 1870 were 120,636 bushels of wheat, 373,817 of Indian corn, 110,868 of oats, 24,796 of potatoes, 45,738 lbs. of butter, 34,738 of wool, and 358,948 of tobacco. There were 3,428 horses, 3,061 milch cows, 6,081 other cattle, 12,730 sheep, and 21,782 swine; 2 breweries, 2 saw mills, and 3 manufactories of carriages. Capital, Jasper.