Dumdum

Dumdum, a town and military station of Bengal, British India, 6 m. E. N. E. of Calcutta. It is the headquarters of the Bengal artillery, and the seat of a training school for young officers and recruits from England. It contains handsome establishments for the officers, a large church, a free school, a depot of musketry, and a cannon foundery.

Dumfriesshire

Dumfriesshire, a S. county of Scotland, bordering on England and Solway frith; area, 1,098 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 74,794. A large portion of its surface is mountainous, especially in the N. and N. E. parts, where there are summits nearly 3,000 ft. above the sea. There are many lochs, the principal of which are Castle loch of Lochmaben, and Loch Skene, 1,300 ft. above the sea, whose waters form the cascade called the Gray Mare's Tail. Three rivers, the Nith, the Annan, and the Esk, give their names to the three popular divisions of the county, Nithdale, Annandale, and Eskdale; and besides these there are a few smaller streams. Limestone is found in considerable quantities, and there are mines of coal and lead, and some manufactures; but agriculture, and especially the rearing of cattle, sheep, and pigs, are the principal occupations. The county was included by the Romans in the prov-ince of Valentia. Capital, Dumfries.

Dun-Le-Roi

Dun-Le-Roi, a town of France, in the department of Cher, on the Auron, 16 m. S. E. of Bourges; pop. in 1860, 5,454. It was formerly a very important town, and in the 12th century was strongly fortified. There are iron mines and quarries of lithographic stone in the neighborhood.

Duna, Or Southern Dwina

Duna, Or Southern Dwina, a river of Russia, rises in the small lake of Dvinetz, near the source of the Volga, in the government of Tver, flows about 600 m. with a very circuitous course, but with a general W. direction, separating the governments of Vitebsk and Livonia from Wilna and Courland, and discharges into the gulf of Riga near the town of the same name. The principal towns on its banks are Vitebsk, Polotzk, Dunaburg, Jacobstadt, Frie-drichstadt, and Riga. Navigation is obstructed by rocks and shoals. In spring it is covered with numerous rafts of timber. The river is connected by canals with the Volga, the Dnieper, the Beresina, the Niemen, and Lake Ilmen. Its waters abound in fish.

Dunaburg, Or Dvinaburg

Dunaburg, Or Dvinaburg, a fortified town of Russia, in the government of Vitebsk, on the Duna, 110 m. S. E. of Riga; pop. in 1868, 27,-822. It has a considerable trade and famous annual fairs. The principal exports are flax, hemp, tallow, and timber. It is connected by railway with Riga, St. Petersburg, and Kharkov. The fortress, built in 1825, on a site chosen by Stephen Bathori in 1582, is an important strategical point. Dunaburg was founded by the Livonian knights in the 13th century, and was successively annexed to Poland, Sweden, and Russia, and has remained in the possession of the latter power since 1772.