Dunbar, a seaport town of Haddingtonshire, Scotland, at the mouth of the frith of Forth, 27 m. E. by N. of Edinburgh; pop. in 1871, 3,320. It has manufactories of soap, iron, steam engines, sail cloth, and cordage, and some trade. Vessels of 300 tons can enter the harbor, but the navigation is somewhat dangerous. Dunbar is a place of great antiquity, and its castle, now in ruins, was formerly a famous stronghold. In 1296 the Scots were defeated here with great slaughter by the English army of Edward I. In 1337 Black Agnes, countess of Dunbar, defended the castle for nearly five months against the earl of Salisbury. Another important battle was fought near this town in 1650 between Cromwell with 11,000 men and Gen. Lesley at the head of a Scottish army twice as large, in which the latter was decisively defeated.
Duncan, king of Scotland. See Macbeth.
Dundas, an E. county of the province of Ontario, Canada, bordering on the St. Lawrence river, which separates it from New York; area, 377 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 18,777. It is intersected by the Riviere de la Petite Nation, and crossed by the Grand Trunk railway. Its capital, Morrisburg, is a port of entry, and a stopping point for steamers plying between Montreal, Kingston, and Hamilton.
Dundalk, a seaport town and parliamentary borough of Ireland, in the county Louth, near the mouth of the Castletown river, 45 m. N. of Dublin; pop. in 1871,10,893. It has a good harbor on Dundalk bay, and contains a number of schools and literary and benevolent institu-tions. The manufactures comprise flax spinning, machinery, and agricultural implements, ropes, soap, leather, pins, and starch; and there are also flour mills, breweries, and distilleries. Its trade is important and increasing, especially in agricultural products, which are largely exported. It is connected by railway with Belfast, Drogheda, and Dublin.
Dundrum Bay, a bay of the Irish sea, on the coast of the county Down. Its entrance, which lies between St. John's point on the N. E. and the Mourne mountains on the S. W., is about 10 m. wide. It is subject to heavy swells during S. and S. E. winds. Near its N. side are two rocks called the Cow and Calf, connected with the mainland by a reef.
Dunedin, a city of New Zealand, capital of the province of Otago, on the S. E. coast of the Middle island, and the S. W. side of the harbor of Otago; pop. in 1871, 14,857; including the suburbs of Roslyn and Caversham, 21,511. The city is well paved, has a good supply of water from a reservoir at the head of Water of Leith valley, and is lighted with gas. Among the buildings are the post office, a hospital, and government structures, several banks, the athenaeum and mechanics' institute, a masonic hall, and a Presbyterian church, one of the handsomest ecclesiastical buildings in the colony. It is the seat of a Protestant Episcopal and a Roman Catholic bishop, and in 1872 had 12 churches and a synagogue. A regular line of steamers connects Dunedin with Melbourne. The city was founded in 1848, but its more rapid progress dates from 1861, when extensive gold fields were discovered in the neighborhood.