Duxbury, a town of Plymouth co., Massachusetts, on the N. shore of Plymouth harbor, at the terminus of the Duxbury and Cohasset extension of the South Shore railroad, 27 m. S. S. E. of Boston; pop. in 1870, 2,341. The N. E. boundary of the harbor is a peninsula, about 6 m. long, called the Gurnet. Near its extremity are two fixed lights. Duxbury is the terminus of the Atlantic telegraphic cable laid in 1869 from Brest, France, via St. Pierre. In the S. part of the town is Standish or Captain's hill, 180 ft. high, commanding a fine view of the sea. It was the residence of Miles Standish, to whose memory a monument was erected in 1872. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in commerce, fishing, and ship building. There are 10 schools, including a high school and an academy, and several churches.
Dwarka Dwaraca, Or Jigat, a town of Guze-rat, Hindostan, on the coast, near the western extremity of the peninsula of Cattywar, 270 m. W. of Baroda. It is fabled to have been the residence of Krishna, and contains several pagodas, the principal of which is the most celebrated temple of Krishna in India, with a spire 140 ft. high, consisting of a series of pyramids. It is annually resorted to by 15,000 pilgrims. It contains about 2,500 houses, and has an important trade in chalk.
Dwina, Or Dvina, Northern, a river of Russia in Europe, formed in the government of Vologda by the junction of the Sukhona and Vitchegda, flows N. W. into the government of Archangel, where it receives the Pinega and the Vaga, and after a course of about 400 m. falls through several mouths, forming a number of islands, into the White sea, nearly 30 m. below the city of Archangel. It is navigable for its whole length, with an average width of 550 ft., and is the largest stream in northern Europe, traversing a marshy country, and increased by numerous affluents. It forms part of a system of canals completed in 1807, by which a water communication is established between the White, Baltic, Black, and Caspian seas. (For the Southern Dwina, see Duna.)
Dyer, a W. county of Tennessee, separated from Missouri by the Mississippi river, and drained by Obion and Forked Deer rivers; area about 400 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 13,706, of whom 2,893 were colored. The soil is rich, and the surface level and partly occupied by excellent timber tracts. The chief productions in 1870 were 74,090 bushels of wheat, 749,175 of Indian corn, 99,216 lbs. of butter, 412,440 of tobacco, and 4,908 bales of cotton. There were 3,855 horses, 3,531 milch cows, 5,571 other cattle, 8,831 sheep, and 36,448 swine. Capital, Dyersburg.
Dyrrhachium, a city of ancient Illyricum, on the coast of the Adriatic, occupying very nearly the site of the town known in Grecian history as Epidamnus. The latter is said to have been founded by the Coreyreans and by settlers from Corinth, about 627 B. C. Owing to its favorable situation, it soon became a wealthy and populous colony; and the Pelo-ponnesian war arose in great part from a contest between Corinth and Coreyra brought about by appeals to them by the contending factions of Epidamnus. About 310 the IIlyrians made themselves masters of the place, and not long afterward the inhabitants put themselves under the protection of the Romans, by whom its name was changed to Dyrrhachium. At a later period it was prominent in the contest between Caesar and Pom-pey, and in 1081-'2 became memorable for its siege and capture by Robert Guiscard, who defeated there the Greeks under their emperor Alexis. (See Durazzo.)