Easdale, Or Eisdale, an island on the W. coast of Argyleshire, Scotland, in the frith of Lorn, nearly adjoining the island of Seil, about 1/2 m. long and of nearly the same width, noted for its slate quarries, which have been worked for nearly two centuries, and furnish annually more than 4,000,000 slates. The island consists entirely of slate, and has been so much cut away that a large part of it is now even with or below the level of the sea.
East And West Baton Rouge. See East Baton Rouge, and West Baton Rouge.
East And West Maitland, two contiguous towns of New South Wales, Australia, on the Hunter river, 75 m. N. of Sydney; pop. in 1871, 13,642, of whom about 2,000 belong to East Maitland. The surrounding region is among the most productive of the globe, and is commonly called the granary of New South Wales. Maitland is the seat of a Roman Catholic bishop, and there are numerous places of worship of nearly all religious denominations. East Maitland has a court house and a jail; West Maitland many large stores and some good hotels. Two newspapers are published, one of which, "The Maitland Mercury," is the oldest provincial journal in the colony. There is daily communication by railway to Newcastle, and by steamboat thence to Sydney.
East Baton Rouge, a S. E. parish of Louisiana, bounded E. by the Amite river and W. by the Mississippi; area, about 450 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 17,816, of whom 11,343 were colored. The surface is level in the north and gently undulating in the south; the soil is moderately fertile. There are extensive forests of live oak, cypress, and magnolia. The chief productions in 1870 were 185,133 bushels of Indian corn, 3,163 of Irish and 32,075 of sweet potatoes, 8,967 bales of cotton, 833 hogsheads of sugar, and 59,497 gallons of molasses. There were 1,296 horses, 1,275 mules and asses, 3,203 milch cows, 5,936 other cattle, 3,470 sheep, and 7,819 swine; 1 manufactory of agricultural implements, 1 of boots and shoes, 2 of carriages, 1 of barrels and casks, 1 of cotton goods, 1 of gas, 10 of molasses and sugar, 1 of woollens, and 1 saw mill. Capital, Baton Rouge.
East Feliciana, a S. E. parish of Louisiana, bounded N. by Mississippi, E. by the Amite river, S. W. by the Mississippi, and W. by Thompson's creek; area, about 500 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 13,499, of whom 9,393 were colored. The Clinton and Port Hudson railroad extends from the capital to the Mississippi river. The surface is moderately uneven, and the soil is well watered, fertile, and easily tilled. There are forests of pine, oak, and bay. The chief productions in 1870 were 167,2G2 bushels of Indian corn, 20,263 of sweet potatoes, 10,252 bales of cotton, and 5,900 lbs. of rice. There were 1,147 horses, 890 mules and asses, 2,155 milch cows, 3,954 other cattle, 2,284 sheep, and 5,637 swine. Capital, Clinton.