Ecija (anc. Astigi), a city of Andalusia, Spain, on the Genii, in the province and 47 m. E. N. E. of the city of Seville; pop. about 30,000. There are several fine residences in the city, a pretty theatre, a handsome square, and a charming promenade outside the town. In the Plaza de Toros some of the best bull fights in Spain take place. From its excessive heat the town is called the sartenilla (frying pan) of Andalusia. Its industry consists chiefly in the manufacture of woollens, linen, silk, and oil, and tanning. Ecija was for a long time in the middle ages an important border town between the Moors and Christians, and the scene of many romantic adventures. Inscriptions and relics of antiquity still exist here.
Eck, Or Eckins, Johann Mayr Von, a German theologian, born in Eck, Swabia, Nov. 13, 1486, died in Ingolstadt in 1543. The son of a peasant, he acquired, by a profound study of the Christian fathers and the scholastic philosophers, an erudition and skill in disputation which Luther and Melanchthon much admired. He was doctor of theology, canon of Eichstadt, and vice chancellor of the university of Ingolstadt, when in 1518 he appeared as an adversary of Luther by his notes upon the theses of that reformer. He met Luther and Carl-stadt in the conferences at Augsburg and Leip-sic, but failing to convince them, he went to Rome to urge severe measures against them. He returned to Germany with a papal bull of condemnation, but at Leipsic the people had so warmly embraced the new doctrines that he saved himself from violence only by retreating to a convent. He subsequently labored fruitlessly to reunite the divided church.
Eckmuhl, Or Eggmuhl, a village of Bavaria, on the river Grosse Laber, 13 m. S. S. E. of Ratis-bon, memorable for the great victory gained there by Napoleon over the Austrians under the archduke Charles, April 22, 1809. Marshal Davoust, having especially signalized his valor during the engagement, was created prince of Eckmuhl. This battle, and the minor actions of Abensberg (April 20), Landshut (21), and Ratisbon (23), which closely preceded or followed it, cost Austria 25,000 men, and obliged the archduke Charles to retire into Bohemia, and to leave open to Napoleon the highway to Vienna.
Edgecombe, a N. E. county of North Carolina, watered by Tar river, and by Fishing, Sandy, and Contentny creeks; area, about 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 22,970 of whom 15,112 were colored. The soil is fertile and sandy. The surface is mostly level, and occupied in part by pine forests, from which quantities of turpentine are obtained. It is traversed by the Wilmington and Weldon railroad and the Tarboro branch. The chief productions in 1870 were 6,102 bushels of wheat, 488,800 of Indian corn, 48,573 of oats, 58,055 of sweet potatoes, 3,059 tons of hay, and 18,361 bales of cotton. There were 1,164 horses, 1,919 mules and asses, 1,403 milch cows, 3,339 other cattle, and 14,214 swine; 3 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 1 of cotton goods, 5 flour mills, and 7 saw mills. Capital, Tarboro.