Eifaula, a city of Barbour co., Alabama, on the right bank of the Chattahoochee river, at the terminus of the Montgomery and Eu-faula railroad, and a branch of the Southwestern railroad of Georgia, 80 m. S. E. of Montgomery; pop. in 1870, 3,185, of whom 1,640 were colored. It stands on a high bluff, 200 ft. above the water, and contains several churches and newspaper offices, and many stores. An active trade is carried on by means of the river, which is navigable to this point from November to June. It is the principal shipping point for the produce of the surrounding plantations, and exports cotton.
Eildon Hills, a group of hills in Roxburghshire, Scotland, consisting of three conical peaks, the highest of which has an elevation of about 1,350 ft. At their foot on the north is the town of Melrose. From their summits a magnificent view of the romantic border scenery of Scotland may be obtained. There is a tradition among the peasants of the neighboring country that these hills were originally one mountain, which was divided into three separate summits by a demon under the wizard Michael Scott.
Eilenburg, a town of Prussia, in the province of Saxony, 14 m. N. E. of Leipsic, on an island formed by the Mulde; pop. in 1871, 10,-135. It has many flourishing manufactures, chiefly of cotton and linen goods, chemicals, and tobacco. It received its name from the ancient castle near it, which is mentioned in the 10th century as a seat of the counts of Ilburg, and as an important frontier fortress against the Wends and Sorbs.
Eimbeck, Or Einbeck, a town of Prussia, in the province of Hanover, on the llme, 21 m. N. N. W. of Gottingen; pop. in 1871, 6,189. It has manufactories of woollens and linens, several bleacheries and tanneries, and a gymnasium founded by Luther. It was formerly the capital of the county of Mansfeld, and was once prominent among the military towns of the empire, but the French destroyed its walls in 1761.
Einsiedeln, Or Einsiedlen, a village of Switzerland, in the canton of Schwytz, on the Sihl, 20 m. S. E. of Zurich; pop. in 1870, 7,633. It is about 3,000 ft. above the sea. Adjoining the village is a famous Benedictine abbey whence it derives its name, founded about 900, at the spot where St. Meinrad was murdered, but several times rebuilt. The present edifice, which dates from 1719, is in the modern Italian style, and contains a museum, a library of 30,000 volumes, and a marble chapel wherein is an image of the Virgin that attracts multitudes of Roman Catholics from many parts of Europe. The average number of communicants, chiefly from Switzerland, Germany, and Italy, annually exceeds 150,000. The yearly festival is held on Sept. 14; and in 1861 the thousandth anniversary of the death of St. Meinrad was celebrated with great pomp. Connected with the abbey are an ecclesiastical seminary, a gymnasium, and a lyceum.