Eisenberg, a town of Germany, in the duchy of Saxe-Altenburg, on an affluent of the Elster, 40 m. S. W. of Leipsic; pop. in 1871, I 5,261. It has a Protestant lyceum, an observatory, and manufactories of china ware and woollen goods. An important trade is carried on in lumber. The ducal castle, Christiansburg, has a beautiful church in Italian style, built from 1676 to 1692. In 1675 Eisenberg became the capital of the new sovereign duchy of Saxe-Eisenberg, which became extinct on the death of its founder, Duke Christian.
Eisenstadt (Hun. liis-Marton), a town of Hungary, on the slope of the Leitha hills, near the frontier of Lower Austria, 11 m. N. W. of Oedenburg; pop. about 3,000. It consists of the town proper, surrounded by walls, and of the Schlossberg, which formerly belonged to the Esterhazy family, and contains a magnificent palace with pleasure grounds, a theatre, and a chapel. The library is rich in church music, masses, and oratorios, and contains some of Haydn's MSS. In a church for pilgrims on a so-called Calvary mountain the remains of Haydn are buried.
Eisleben, a town of Prussia, in the province of Saxony, 18 m. W. by N. of Halle, on the railway from Halle to Nordhausen and Cassel; pop. in 1871, 13,434. It contains a castle, and has manufactories of linen, tobacco, saltpetre, potash, and copper, the metal being largely mined in the vicinity. The portion called the old town is surrounded with walls. It is noted as the place where Martin Luther was born and died. The house in which he was born was burned in 1689, but that in which he died is still preserved, and has been converted into a school for poor children. In an upper story of the house several relics of Luther are kept, among which is the album of his friend the painter Cranach, who made the designs for his works. In the church of St. Andrew, the pulpit from which Luther preached but a few days before his death is still preserved.
Eisteddfods (from eistedd, to sit), meetings of bards held in Wales clown to the time of Queen Elizabeth. Several associations have been formed in modern times in Wales which hold periodical meetings called Eisteddfods, as for example the Gwyneddigion, founded in 1770, the Cambrian, founded in 1818, and the Metropolitan Cambrian institution. They seek to preserve the poems of the ancient bards, and to promote national feelings by awarding prizes for Welsh poems, singing, etc. (See Bards.)
Ekhmin, Or Akhmin(anc. Eg. Khemmin; Gr. Chemmis and Panopolis), a town of Upper Egypt, on the right bank of the Nile, 60 m. above Sioot and 75 m. below Kenneh; pop. about 10,000. It stands on the ruins of one of the most ancient cities in Egypt, the capital of the Chemmite nome in the The baid, which was dedicated to Khem or Min, whom the Greeks identified as Pan. In the vicinity of the modern town are the remains of several temples and tombs, and large excavations have recently been made which are expected to throw new light on the condition of the ancient empire, and especially on the nature of the worship of Khem, who is believed to have been a phallic deity. The place contains at present the finest Coptic church in Egypt, and a Coptic and a Franciscan convent. The inhabitants carry on a lively trade in cotton goods and agricultural produce. The name of the town is sometimes given as El-Akhmim, and by the Copts as Khmim.