Emmanuel Louis Henri De Launay. See Antraigues.
Emmerich, a town of Prussia, on the right bank of the Rhine, 5 m. N. E. of Cleves; pop. in 1871, 7,817. It is the nearest Prussian town to Holland, on the railway connecting-Cologne with Amsterdam, and here the baggage of travellers is inspected by the custom-house officials. The minster is the oldest church in that part of the Rhine country. Woollens, hosiery, linens, hats, and other goods are manufactured, and there is an active shipping trade.
Emmet, a N. county of Michigan, bordering on Lake Michigan and the straits of Mackinaw; area, about 700 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,211. It is indented by numerous bays. The chief productions in 1870 were 4,452 bushels of Indian corn, 5,972 of oats, and 40,730 lbs. of maple sugar. Capital, Little Traverse. (See Emmett.)
Emmett, a N. W. county of Iowa, bordering on Minnesota, and intersected by the East and West forks of Des Moines river; area, about 450 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,392. There are several lakes in the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 29,621 bushels of wheat, 12,816 of Indian corn, 27,819 of oats, and 6,948 tons of hay. Capital, Esterville.
Emmettsburg, a town of Frederick co., Maryland, about 50 m. N. W. of Baltimore; pop. in 1870, 706. It contains several churches, an academy, an institute for girls under the care of the sisters of charity, and Mount St. Mary's college and theological seminary, a Roman Catholic institution, organized in 1808. In 1871 the college had 26 professors and instructors, 161 students, and a library of 8,000 volumes; the theological department had 4 professors and 25 students.
Empoli, a town of Italy, in the province and 16 m. S. W. of the city of Florence, on the left bank of the Arno; pop. about 6,500. It is situated in a fertile valley, and is surrounded by walls flanked with towers. The collegiate church, built at the close of the 11th century, contains fine statuary and excellent pictures, including Giotto's "St. Lucia in the Cavern." The adjoining baptistery and the San Stefano and Santa Croce churches contain likewise several notable paintings. The principal manufactures are cotton, leather, glass, beaver hats, earthern vases, and the so-called Tuscan straw bonnets, the straw being a local product.
See Bonaparte, vol. iii., p. 46.
Endor, a town of Palestine, W. of the Jordan, assigned to the tribe of Manasseh, although situated within the territory of Issa-char. It was in a solitary valley, not far from this town, that the sorceress resided whom Saul went to consult on the evening before the fatal battle of Gilboa.
Endymion, in Greek legend, a shepherd of remarkable beauty, who retired every night to a grotto of Mount Latmus in Caria. As he slept the goddess Selene (the moon) became enamored of him, and leaving her chariot came down to him. The eclipses of the moon were attributed to these visits. By Selene he had 50 daughters. Jupiter condemned him to perpetual sleep, or, according to other accounts, to 50 years of sleep.