Erymanthus, in ancient geography, a river and mountain of Arcadia, in Greece. The river, according to some the modern Dimitza-na, rises on the frontiers of Arcadia and Elis, and flows into the Alpheus. The mountain, east of the river, formed the western point of the northern barrier of Arcadia, and was covered with forests. In this mountain Hercules killed the famous wild boar.
Eryx, an ancient town of Sicily, occupying the side of a mountain of the same name (now Monte San Giuliano), on the N. W. coast of the island, near the promontory of Drepanum. Above it was a temple of Venus, on the summit of the mountain. It early became a dependency of Carthage, was for a short time under the sway of Syracuse, was captured by Pyrrhus in 278 B.C., reverted to the Carthaginians, and in the first Punic war was partially destroyed by Hamilcar, who converted it into a fortified camp, removing the inhabitants to Drepanum. A few years later it was taken by the Romans, but the city was surprised by Hamilcar Barca, and made his headquarters till the conclusion of the war, while the Romans continued to hold the temple as an impregnable fortress. The site of the ancient city is now occupied only by a convent, and that of the temple by a Saracenic castle, now a prison, surrounded by the town of San Giuliano.
Esarhaddon, son and successor of Sennacherib, king of Assyria, reigned 680-667 B. C. He is the Sarchedon of Tobit, the Asaradinus of the Canon of Ptolemy, and the Asshur-akh-iddin of the Assyrian inscriptions. (See Assyria, vol. ii., p. 36.)
I. A N. W. county of Florida, separated from Alabama on the W. by the Per-dido river, bounded E. by the Escambia, and S. by the gulf of Mexico; area, 850 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 7,817, of whom 2,880 were colored. It consists mostly of a level and not very productive country, covered with extensive pine forests. The chief productions in 1870 were 7,020 bushels of Indian corn, 13,970 of sweet potatoes, and 35,050 lbs. of rice. The value of live stock was $71,520. Capital, Pensacola. II. A S. W. county of Alabama, bordering on Florida, intersected by the Escambia and Conecuh rivers; area, about 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,041, of whom 951 were colored. The Mobile and Great Northern and the Alabama and Florida railroads pass through it. The soil is sandy; pine abounds. The chief productions in 1870 were 30,390 bushels of Indian corn, 31,665 of sweet potatoes, and 605 bales of cotton. There were 8,785 cattle, 3,583 sheep, and 4,878 swine. Capital, Pollard.
Eschwege, a town of Prussia, in the province of Hesse-Nassau, on the Werra, 27 m. S. E. of Cassel; pop. in 1871, 7,377. It consists of the old town on the left bank of the Werra, the new town on the right bank, and Brucken-hausen on a small island, connected with the other parts by stone bridges. It has an old castle, and manufactories of linen and woollen, leather, glue, soap, and oil.