Estreat (Lat. extractum; mediaeval Fr. es-trete), a term still in use in criminal proceedings, by which is signified the extracting or taking out a record of a court for prosecution in another court, or it may be in the same court. To estreat a recognizance is to indorse it by order of the court for prosecution. The use of the term probably grew out of the custom in England of sending all recognizances to the court of exchequer to be prosecuted.
Estremoz, a town of Portugal, in the province of Alemtejo, 22 m. W. of Elvas; pop. about 6,600. The fortifications, once strong, are fast decaying. Pottery and leather are manufactured, and in the vicinity are marble quarries.
Eszek, Or Esseg(Slav. Osjek), a town and fortress of the Austro-Hungarian empire, capital of Slavonia, in the county of Verocze, on the Drave, 13 m. from its confluence with the Danube, and 135 m. S. by W. of Pesth; pop. in 1869, 17,247. Fairs for cattle, corn, and other produce are held here four times a year. Of late the population and industry of the town have rapidly increased, the Drave having been made available for steamboat navigation. The fortress contains an arsenal and barracks for 30,000 men; during the revolutionary period of 1848-'9, it was occupied by the Hungarians until Feb. 14, 1849, when it surrendered to the Austrian Gen. Trebersberg. Not far from Eszek stand the famous bridges constructed by Soly-man II. in 1566, to facilitate the entrance of the Turkish armies into Hungary. The town was a colony of the Romans, who called it Mursa; and it afterward became the residence of the Roman governors of Lower Pannonia.
Etampes (under the Franks, Stampoe), a town of France, in the department of Seine-et-Oise, 28 m. S. by W. of Paris; pop. in 1866, 8,228. It is on two small tributaries of the Juine, or Etampes, in a fertile valley, and is surrounded with shady promenades. It has a ruined tower called Guinette, the only remnant of the ancient castle built by King Robert in the 11th century. There are several fine churches, a town hall, and a castle which is said to have been given in apanage to the duchess d'Etampes and other royal favorites. There is also a statue to Geoffroy-Saint-Hilaire, the naturalist, who was born here. The chief manufactures are soap, leather, counterpanes, woollen yarn, and hosiery. A considerable trade is carried on in wool, corn, honey, and flour, and there are more than 40 mills.
Etawah, a town of British India, the capital of a district of the same name, on high ground about 1 m. from the left bank of the Jumna, 80 m. W. by N. of Cawnpore, and 60 m. S. E. of Agra; pop. about 25,000. Ghauts, or flights of steps, some in ruins, others new and frequented by Hindoo devotees for religious ablutions, lead toward the river, across which is a ferry and at times a bridge of boats. A fort and a large jail are the principal buildings. The town was prosperous and important under the Mogul empire, but is now little more than a mass of ruins, and is generally described as one of the least attractive stations in India. It has some commercial consequence from its position at the junction of the roads from Calpee and Cawnpore to Agra, and contains a few bungalows and other military buildings.