Fernando Fernandez De Cordova, a Spanish general, born in Madrid in 1792. He entered the military service in 1810, and was rapidly promoted during the war with Napoleon. In 1841 he was implicated with Gen. Concha in the movement instigated by O'Donnell against Espartero. In 1847 he was a short time minister of war, and was appointed inspector general of infantry. Two years afterward he was sent to Gaeta in Italy at the head of an army to aid in the restoration of the pope. On March 8, 1850, he was appointed captain general of New Castile, in the following year of Cuba, and in 1853 general-in-chief of the cavalry. Immediately after the outbreak of the revolution of 1854, he was called upon by Queen Isabella to form a new cabinet. This he declined, but he ordered his soldiers to fire upon the insurgents, and when the latter proved victorious he fled to France. In 1856 he returned to Spain, and in 1864 was made minister of war in the cabinet of Narvaez.
Fernando Mtnoz, duke of Rianzares, husband of Maria Christina, ex-queen dowager of Spain, born at Tarancon, province of Cuenca, about 1808, died near Havre, Sept. 13, 1873. He was of low birth, and while a private in the royal guards attracted by his personal beauty the admiration of Maria Christina, to whom he was secretly married, Dec. 28, 1833, three months after the death of her husband, King Ferdinand VII. The marriage was publicly solemnized, Oct. 13,1844, and Munoz was made duke of Rianzares, a Spanish grandee of the first class, and a knight of the golden fleece. On the marriage of the duke de Montpensier to the sister of Queen Isabella II., Louis Philippe bestowed upon Munoz the French title of duke of Montmorot. On the expulsion of Maria Christina from Spain in 1854 he went with her to France, and subsequently resided with her at Malmaison and in Paris.
Filippo Brunelleschi, an Italian architect, born in Florence in 1377, died there in 1444. He was apprenticed to a goldsmith, afterward devoted himself to sculpture, and finally became the leading architect of his day in Italy. He studied the ancient architecture of Rome, and is credited with reviving the Doric, Ionic, and Corinthian orders, and settling the principles of perspective as applied to architecture. He constructed the dome of the church of Santa Maria del Fiore at Florence, the largest in diameter in the world, and designed the Pitti palace, the churches of San Spirito and San Lorenzo, and the abbey at Fiesole.
Finn Jonsson, an Icelandic historian, born in Hitardal, Jan. 16, 1704, died July 23, 1789. In 1725 he entered the university of Copenhagen, and in 1728 was present at the fire which destroyed the great collection of Icelandic MSS. formed by his patron Arni Mag-nusson. In his endeavors to save these MSS. he neglected his own effects and library, which were burned. On returning to Iceland he obtained a benefice, and in 1754 was appointed bishop of Skalholt. He wrote many works in Latin and Icelandic, the principal of which is the Historia Ecclesiastica Islandiae, published under the care of his son Hannes Finsson at Copenhagen (4 vols. 4to, 1772-'9). The latter, who succeeded his father in the bishopric, made important additions to this work, edited several sagas, and was the founder of the Iceland agricultural society.