Glaichau , a town of Saxony, in the circle of Zwickau, 15 m. W. of Chemnitz; pop. in 1871, 22,036. It contains an old and extensive castle and several churches. Next to Chemnitz it is the most important manufacturing town of Saxony. The staple articles made here are woollen and half-woollen goods, paper, and engines. The annual exports exceed in value $15,000,000. Glauchau has 12,000 looms, and employs many persons in neighboring localities. The population has almost quadrupled within the last 40 years, and the number of master workmen has increased from 300 in 1804 to more than 2,000 in 1874.
Glassites ,.See Sandemanians.
Glatz a town of Prussia, in the province of Silesia, on the left bank of the Neisse, 52 m. S. W. of Breslau; pop. in 1871, 11,541. The town is defended by an old citadel, a modern fortress, and other works. It manufactures cotton fabrics, leather, and hosiery, and has a Roman Catholic gymnasium, a hospital, infirmary, and barracks. It was fortified as early as the 11th century, and has sustained numerous sieges. It was taken in the beginning of the thirty years' war by the Protestants, capitulated in 1(522 to the imperial troops, and in 1742 to the Prussians. - The territory of Glatz was made a county of the empire in the latter part of the 15th century by the emperor Frederick III., and subsequently formed a part of the Austrian dominions, until occupied by Frederick the Great in 1742. A part of the Sudetic mountains is often designated by the name of Glatzer Gebirge.
Gleiwitz a town of Prussian Silesia, on the Klodnitz, 40 m. S. E. of Oppeln; pop. in 1871, 12,939. It has a Catholic gymnasium, a Protestant and two Catholic churches, a synagogue, a convent, a hospital, and barracks, and is the centre of the mining and smelting industry of upper Silesia.
Glen's Falls , a village of Warren co., New York, situated on the Hudson river, which is here crossed by a bridge, at the terminus of a branch of the Rensselaer and Saratoga railroad, 46 m. N. of Albany; pop. in 1870, 4,500. The surrounding country is rugged, and in the vicinity are quarries of black marble. The river, here flowing through a ravine, descends 50 ft. over a rocky precipice 900 ft. long. The village is connected by a feeder with the Cham-plain canal, and contains a planing mill, two saw mills, a tannery, a brewery, a flour mill, a foundery and machine shop, and manufactories of carriages, lime, pumps, etc. Elmwood seminary, for the superior instruction of females, and Glen's Falls academy are flourishing institutions. There are two national banks, two weekly newspapers, and six churches.
Glengarry , an E. county of Ontario, Caua-la, bordering on Quebec and the river St. Lawrence; area, 4G2 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 20,524, of whom 15,899 were of Scotch, 2,607 of French, 1,279 of Irish, and 509 of English origin. It is watered by several streams, and is intersected by the Grand Trunk and the Montreal and Ot-tawa Junction railroads. Capital, Alexandria.