Glllkstadt , a town of Prussia, in the province of Schleswig-Holstein, on the right bank of the Elbe, 27 m. N. W. of Altona; pop. in 1871, 5,073. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in commerce and the whale fishery. The town was fortified in 1G20 by Christian IV. It was unsuccessfully attacked by Wal-lenstein in 1627, by Tilly in 1628, by Torsten-son in 1644, and yielded to the allies in 1814. The fortifications were demolished in 1815, and it was declared a free town in 1830. It passed into the possession of Prussia in 1866. The town has a gymnasium, and is connected by rail with Altona, Kiel, and Rendsburg. The royal lino of the dukes of Holstein assumed from this town the name of Holstein-Gluck-stadt, while the ducal line bore the name of Holstein-Gottorp.
Globe Fish .See Sea Porcupine.
Glogau, Or Gross-Glogan a town of Prussian Silesia, on the left bank of the Oder, 54 m. N. W. of Breslau; pop. in 1871, 18,265. It is strongly fortified, and contains an old castle, four churches, a Protestant and a Roman Catholic gymnasium, extensive barracks, and several hospitals. It is connected by a bridge with an island in the Oder, on which stand the cathedral and a strong fortress, built in 1260. The town has manufactories of cotton, woollen, and linen goods, sealing wax, and tobacco. A principality of Glogau was founded in 1252 by the third son of Duke Henry II. of Silesia. In the following century it was made a duchy, which became extinct in 1506. The town was burned in 1420 and in 1615.
Glosaurus ,.See Mososaurus.
Glossop , a town of Derbyshire, England, 19 m. N. W. of Sheffield; pop. in 1871, 5,074, and of the borough, 17,046. It consists of an old and a new town, the former better built than the latter, and contains a fine parish church, chapels for Roman Catholics and dissenters, a town hall, and various charitable institutions. It is the chief cotton manufacturing place in the county, having more than 50 cotton mills in the town and its neighborhood, besides woollen and paper mills, bleach fields, dye and print works, and iron founderies. On a hill near the town is Melandra castle, the site of a Roman station, and a Roman road known as the doctors' gate extends from the castle to Brough.
Gloversville , a village in the town of Johnstown, Fulton co., New York, 40 m. N. W. of Albany, at the terminus of the Fonda, Johnstown, and Gloversville railroad, which connects with the New York Central at Fonda, 7 m. distant; pop. in 1870, 4,518. It is chiefly noted for its extensive manufactures of gloves and mittens. The business was commenced in 1803, and the village now contains about 140 establishments, manufacturing two thirds of the kid and buckskin gloves and mittens made in the United States. There are also manufactories of machine and glove patterns, organs, railroad lamps, carriages, kid and other leather, a planing mill, two national banks, three weekly newspapers, and seven churches.