Glukhov , a town of Russia, in the government and 108 m. E. by N. of the city of Tcher-nigov, on the Yesmana; pop. in 1807, 10,747. It has eight churches and several schools, and was formerly the seat of the governor general of Little Russia.
Glynn , a S. E. county of Georgia, bordering on the Atlantic, and bounded N. by the Alta-maha river; area, about 400 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 5,37G, of whom 3,450 were colored. It is traversed by the Macon and Brunswick and the Brunswick and Albany railroad. The surface is level and occupied partly by sandy pine barrens, partly by vast swamps, which when drained are productive. The sea island cotton grows here in perfection. Several islands on the coast, one of which is about 12 m. long, are included in the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 15,589 bushels of Indian corn, 6,774 of sweet potatoes, 167 bales of cotton, and 740,880 lbs. of rice. There were 2 manufactories of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 1 iron foundery, and 4 saw mills. Capital, Brunswick.
Gmund, Or Schwabish-Gmund a town of Wur-temberg, in the circle of the Jaxt, on the Rems, 28 m. E. N. E. of Stuttgart; pop. in 1871, 10,-739. It has a Latin school, a Catholic normal school, institutions for the blind and the deaf and dumb, an insane asylum, two hospitals, important manufactures of gold, silver, copper, and bronze ware, and considerable hop culture.
Gneiss , one of the metamorphic rocks, of the same composition with granite, from which it differs in presenting the three ingredients, quartz, mica, and feldspar, in tolerably distinct layers. The whole mass is often divided into distinct beds or strata, and these exhibit a tendency to cleave along the planes in which the mica is most largely distributed. By increased proportion of mica and loss of feldspar, it passes into micaceous slate. The name gneissic is sometimes given to the group of metamorphic rocks, including the micaceous and hornblende slates, quartz rocks, etc. They are also called hypozoic in reference to their position beneath the fossiliferous strata. The series is familiarly known in the eastern and middle states, ranging through Vermont, Massachusetts, the S. E. part of New York, northern New Jersey, eastern Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia. The gold region lies in this group.
Gnesen , (Pol. Gniezno), a town of Prussia, in the province and 30 m. N. E. of the city of Posen ; pop. in 1871, 9,910. It is surrounded by walls, has a fine cathedral and other churches, an ecclesiastical seminary, a monastery, and a nunnery, and is the seat of a cathedral chapter. Four annual fairs are held there. It was the capital of Poland till 1320, when it was superseded by Cracow. It has been many times besieged, taken, and pillaged. The archbishops of Gnesen were the primates of the state, and acted as vicars during the often disputed elections of the kings.