Goderich , a town, port of entry, and the capital of Huron co., Ontario, Canada, on the E. shore of Lake Huron, at the mouth of the Maitland river, and at the terminus of the Buffalo and Goderich branch of the Grand Trunk railway, 118 m. W. of Toronto; pop. in 1871, 3,954. The surrounding country is fertile and picturesque, and the town is much frequented in summer for the cool air from the lake. It has a good harbor, protected by a pier, and is furnished with a lighthouse. Daily lines of steamers run to Sarnia, Detroit, and ports on the lake. The fisheries are valuable. The town is celebrated for its salt wells, of which eight are in operation. It also contains a large grain elevator, manufactories of woollens, iron castings, machinery, leather, boots and shoes, wooden ware, etc, several saw and grist mills, two branch banks, two weekly newspapers, and churches of four denominations.
Godfrey Of Bouillon ,.See Bouillon.
Godiva ,.See Coventry.
Goes , a town of Holland, on the island of S. Beveland, 15 m. W. of Bergen-op-Zoom; pop. in 1867, 6,313. It is surrounded by walls, and contains a number of squares, of which the Groote Markt, the largest, is planted with trees. The public buildings are the town hall, a Roman Catholic and a Protestant church, a new corn exchange, and many schools and charitable institutions. Both the old and new harbors are defended by forts, and there is an active commerce.
Goentoer , a volcano of Java, about 100 m. S. E. of Batavia, nearly 7,000 ft. high. It is active, and produces considerable damage by periodical eruptions, four of which (1818-'41) were especially violent, destroying a vast number of coffee trees, and covering large tracts with heaps of stones, ashes, and sand.
Goertz ,.See Gortz.
Gogra , or Goghra (Hindoo, Gliarghara; the Sareyu of Hindoo mythology, and, according to Rennell, the Agoranis of Arrian), a river of India, which rises on the frontiers of Thibet, in the Himalayas, at an altitude of about 18,000 ft., flows S. and then S. E., and falls into the Ganges near Chupra, 115 m. below Benares. It is at first a vast torrent, having a descent of 15,500 ft. in 75 m.; but after receiving several affluents, it becomes navigable for vessels of considerable size, the descent diminishing to 12 ft. per mile. Its whole length is about 600 m. At its junction with the Ganges it exceeds that river in depth, breadth, and volume of water.
Goldberg , a town of Prussian Silesia, on the Katzbach, 10 m. S. W. of Liegnitz; pop. in 1871, 6,716. It is quaintly built, and has a church dating from the beginning of the 13th century. Cloth and hosiery are manufactured, and there are dye works and distilleries of brandy. The gold mines from which it derived its name are not now worked. A battle was fought here, May 27, 1813, between the French under Mac-donald and the Russian reserve under Wittgenstein, and a skirmish (Aug. 23) between the former and Blucher.