Gomez Eannes De Azurara, a Portuguese historian, born at Azurara, died in the latter part of the loth century. Although he was early made a monk and admitted into the order of Christ, he passed his youth as a soldier, and in 1459 was appointed to reform the archives of the state. His principal work was a chronicle of the discovery and conquest of Guinea. This was discovered in the bibliotheque royale of Paris in 1837, and published (8vo, Paris, 1841) by the Portuguese ambassador at the French court, the visconde de Carreira, who transcribed the MS. with his own hand.
Gomor , a N. county of Hungary, bordering on the counties of Lipto, Zips, Torna, Borsod, Heves, Nograd, and Zolyom; area, 547 sq. m.; pop. in 1869, 103,639, chiefly Magyars and Slovaks, the majority of whom are Protestants. The surface is mostly mountainous, branches of the Carpathians extending into the county. It is traversed in all directions by navigable rivers, the most important of which are the Gran, the Rima, and the Sajo. The chief occupations are mining and cattle breeding. Capital, Rima-Szombath; largest town, Rosenau.
Gomorrah , one of the five cities of the plain or valley of Siddim, destroyed on account of the wickedness of its inhabitants. (See Dead Sea.)
Gonaives , a seaport town of Hayti, on the W. shore of a bay of the same name, 67 m. N. by W. of Port-au-Prince; pop. about 4,000. The streets are wide, but irregular; the houses badly constructed, and destitute of shade; and the church and military and naval hospitals are the only public buildings of note. The harbor is commodious, and the view on the bay delightful. There are mineral springs near, and excellent public baths in the town. Coffee is the chief export; cotton and indigo are raised, but not largely exported, as formerly. Haytian independence was declared here in 1803.
Gondokoro , a town in the territory of the Bari negroes, on the White Nile, which is here called Yubiri or Kidi, lat. 4° 54' N., Ion. 31° 46' E. It is a station of the ivory traders, who occupy it for two months each year, after which it is deserted. It has only a few miserable huts; the country around it is a desert, and the climate unhealthy. A Catholic mission was established there in 1853 by Knoblecher, but was discontinued in 1858. In 1873 Sir Samuel Baker visited it, broke up the slave trade, and proclaimed its incorporation with the dominions of the khedive of Egypt.
Goniatites , a group of fossil cephalopods, having a nautilus-like shell, but with the siphun-cle dorsal as in the ammonites; the septa, or partitions between the chambers, have one or more flexures at the margin. These flexures become more and more complex, from the species of the Hamilton (middle Devonian) period, when they first appear, to those of the carboniferous period, when they disappear, being replaced in mesozoic time by the cera-tites and ammonites, to which they are nearly related. The 0. Marccllensis (Van.), from the Marcellus shales of New York, has been found a foot in diameter. Clymenia, an allied genus, had the siphuncle ventral, and the septa without a distinct dorsal lobe on the median line.
Goniatites (G. retorsus).