See Gonsalvo de Cordova.
Gonzales , a S. county of Texas, intersected by the Guadalupe river; area, 1,026 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,951, of whom 3,670 were colored. It has an undulating surface, about one third of which is covered with ash, oak, and other timber. The soil is fertile, consisting chiefly of a black loam. There are rich deposits of coal and iron. Guadalupe college is at the county scat. The chief productions in 1870 were 203,591 bushels of Indian corn, 28,-932 of sweet potatoes, and 2,174 bales of cotton. There were 8,977 horses, 8,833 milch cows, 77,567 other cattle, 5,790 sheep, and 22,-153 swine. Capital, Gonzales.
Goochland , an E. county of Virginia, bounded S. by James river; area, 260 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 10,313 of whom 6,601 were colored. The surface is undulating, and the soil, watered by numerous creeks, was formerly very fertile. Bituminous coal is found in abundance, and a little gold has been discovered. It is traversed by the James River canal. The chief productions in 1870 were 76,177 bushels of wheat, 101,402 of Indian corn, 72,630 of oats, and 405,215 lbs. of tobacco. There were 670 horses, 2,727 cattle, 3,231 swine, and 16 flour mills. Capital, Goochland.
Good Hope , Cape of. See Cape of Good Hope.
Goodall ,.I. Edward, an English engraver, born in Leeds in September, 1795, died April 11, 1870. He is known by his engravings from Turner's, pictures, in which the artist's characteristics are reproduced with great fidelity. Of his smaller works, the illustrations in Rogers's "Italy" are best known. His large line engravings of Turner's "Tivoli," "Cologne," and "Caligula's Bridge" are splendid specimens of the art. II. Frederick, a painter, son of the preceding, born in London, Sept. 17, 1822. At 14 years of age he received a prize from the society of arts for a drawing of Lambeth palace, and at 16 another for his first oil painting. He subsequently became a frequent exhibitor at the royal academy, of which he was elected an associate in 1852, and a member in 1863. Several of his works, such as "L'Allegro" and "The Soldier's Dream," have been engraved. His "Tired Soldier" and "Village Festival" are in the Vernon gallery.
Goodhue , a S. E. county of Minnesota, bordering on the Mississippi, separated from Wis-consin by Lake Pepin, and watered by Cannon river; area, about 650 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 22,618. The surface is moderately uneven, and the soil fertile. It is traversed by the Red River division of the Milwaukee and St. Paul railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 1,815,603 bushels of wheat, 209,790 of Indian corn, 825,301 of oats, 81,878 of barley, 85,390 of potatoes, 470,201 lbs. of butter, and 31,-468 tons of hay. There were 6,766 horses, 6,485 milch cows, 9,021 other cattle, 6,241 sheep, and 6,671 swine; 2 manufactories of agricultural implements, 5 of carriages, 4 of barrels, 3 of furniture, 8 of saddles and harness, 5 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware. 1 of woollen goods, 4 saw mills, 8 flour mills, and 5 breweries. Capital, Red Wing.