Goritz ,.See Gorz.
Gorlitz , a town of Prussian Silesia, situated on an eminence which overhangs the left bank of the Neisse, and on the Dresden and Breslau railway, 53 m. E. of Dresden; pop. in 1871, 42,224. It consists of the inner town, which is surrounded with walls having 11 gates, and the suburbs. The Gothic Protestant church of Sts. Peter and Paul has a famous organ. A fine Gothic building was erected for the gymnasium in 1856. The town is the seat of several scientific and literary societies. The town hall contains a large library. The manufactures are linen and woollen cloth, tobacco, starch, etc. Gorlitz was a city of great importance in the three centuries preceding the reformation, and the capital of Upper Lusatia; it then declined, but of late the population has rapidly increased in consequence of the flourishing industry.
Gortyna , an ancient town of Crete, a little S. of the centre of the island, on a plain watered by the Lethaeus. It was 90 stadia from the Libyan sea, on which it had two ports, Lebena and Metallum. It was next in importance and splendor to Cnossus, in alliance With which it early reduced all the rest of the island to subjection; but it was afterward at war with Cnossus, and also with Cydonia, against which Philopoemen commanded its forces for several years. The site of Gortyna is thought to be near the modern Hagios Dheka. The caverns in the neighborhood have been described by Savary and Tournefort, and Captain Spratt sees in them the labyrinth of Minos.
Goruckpoor ,.I. A district of the Northwest Provinces, British India, bounded N. by Nepaul, W. and S. W. by Oude; area, 7,346 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 2,044,281. The surface is generally level, but broken in the E. and S. E. parts by ridges of low steep hills. The principal rivers are the Gogra, Gunduk, and Raptee, which have a S. E. course. The district also abounds in shallow lakes. The soil is rendered fertile by careful irrigation. The inhabitants are poor, and agriculture is almost the only branch of industry. The district was ceded to the British in 1801 by the vizier of Oude, in commutation of subsidy. II. The principal town of the district, on the left bank of the Raptee, here crossed by a ferry GOO ft. long, 104 m. N. by E. of Benares and 430 m. N. W. of Calcutta; pop. about 40,000. It is surrounded by forests and plantations, and during the rainy season is often encompassed by water.
Goshen , in Biblical geography, the district of Egypt in which Jacob and his family settled, and where his descendants remained till their deliverance by Moses. The locality is generally fixed in Lower Egypt, E. of the Pelusiac branch of the Nile.
Goshen , a town and village, one of the county seats of Orange co., New York, on the Erie railway, at the junction of two branches, 48 m. N. N. W. of New York; pop. of the town in 1870, 3,903; of the village, 2,205. It is celebrated for its excellent butter, which is made chiefly for the New York market. The village contains a female seminary, several classical schools, two national banks, and two weekly newspapers.