Gottfried Mind, a Swiss painter, better known under the name of Berner Friedli, born in Bern in 1768, died there, Nov. 7, 1814. He was educated in the charity school of Pesta-lozzi, devoting himself to the study of design. Ignorant in other education, and deformed, he shunned society, and spent his life among cats, of which he executed such excellent pictures that he was called the Raphael of cats. He also excelled in pictures of bears, children, and beggars. He died in poverty. Since his death his pictures have commanded extravagant prices, and several of them have been engraved.
Gottland, Or Gothland an island in the Baltic, belonging to Sweden, between lat. 56° 55' and 57° 57' N.; length about 80 m., greatest breadth 33 m.; area, about 1,200 sq. m.; pop. in 1873, 54,239. The island is generally level, and but here and there slightly hilly. The climate is temperate, the mulberry and grape ripening in the open air. The people are chiefly employed in rearing cattle and fishing off the coast. The island possesses several good harbors. The chief towns are Wisby and Slite, the latter protected by forts. A submarine telegraph connects the island with the mainland of Sweden.
Gottlieb Schick, a German painter, born in Stuttgart, Aug. 15, 1779, died there, April 11, 1812. He completed his studies in Paris under David and in Rome, where he finished in 1803 his "David before the angry Saul," followed in 1805 by "Noah's Thank Offering" and an admirable portrait of his friend Wilhelm von Humboldt. Among his other works are "Apollo among the Shepherds" (1807), landscapes, portraits, and Scriptural paintings.
Gouda , a town of the Netherlands, in the province of South Holland, on both banks of the Gouw at its junction with the Neder Yssel, 11 m. N. E. of Rotterdam; pop. in 1868, 15,776. It is entered by five gates, and has canals through the centre of all its streets. It has five churches, that of St. John being very magnificent. The principal manufactures are tobacco pipes, cotton fabrics, parchment, leather, and white lead.
Goulburn , a city of New South Wales, Australia, in Argyle co., near the junction of the Mulwarree ponds and Wollondilly river, on the Great Southern railway, 120 m. S. W. of Sydney; pop. about 3,500. It is the seat of an Anglican and a Roman Catholic bishop. Prominent among the public buildings are several churches, the hospital, the mechanics' institute, the court house, and the jail. The progress of the town has thus far been chiefly due to agriculture; but in its vicinity are found gold, copper, and other metals, and marble. Goulburn was made a city in 1865. In 1872 it had three newspapers.
Governor's Island , a fortified post of the United States, lying in New York harbor, at the entrance of East river, about 1/2 m. S. of the Battery, and separated from Brooklyn by Buttermilk channel. It is about a mile in circumference, and contains Castle William, Fort Columbus, and South battery, the last commanding the entrance to Buttermilk channel.