Great Barrington , a town of Berkshire co., Massachusetts, on the Housatonic river and railroad, 40 m. \V. of Springfield; pop. in 1870, 4,320. It is pleasantly situated, watered by a number of good mill streams, and surrounded by beautiful hills. It contains beds of iron ore and quarries of fine variegated marble. The manufactures embrace cotton goods, paper, woollens, pig iron, bricks, and saw-mill products. It has a national bank, a savings bank, a weekly newspaper, 18 public schools, including a high school, and 7 churches. It comprises three villages, viz.: Great Barrington, Housatonic, and Van Deusenville. Great Barrington was the county seat till 1787.
Great Bear Lake ,.See Bear Lake.
Great Beau Lark, a body of water in North America, between lat. 65° and 67° N. and lon. 117° and 123° W., 200 ft. above the sea, irregular in shape, with an area estimated at about 14,000 sq. m. Its extreme length is about 150 m., and greatest breadth 120 m. Its chief supply is from the Dease river; its outlet is Bear Lake river. The lake water, which is very clear, and appears of a light blue color, has been sounded to the depth of 270 ft. without bottom, and abounds in fish, particularly the herring-salmon. The second land expedition under Franklin, in 1825, wintered at the S. W. extremity of the lake, and built Fort Franklin, afterward one of the Hudson Bay company's stations. Simpson, Richardson, and others, journeying from Canada to the Arctic ocean, have passed this point. The lake, which is 4 S. and 23° W. of the magnetic pole, as determined by Ross in 1831, is the basin of a watershed 400 m. in diameter.
Great Falls ,.See Somersworth.
Great Grimsby , a parliamentary and municipal borough and seaport of Lincolnshire, England, on the right bank of the Humber, 30 m. N. E. of Lincoln; pop. in 1871, 20,238. The town consists of two portions: the older is at the head of the harbor, and the newer, called the Marsh, extends along the east side of the harbor. It has free grammar schools, a national school, a mechanics' institute, and a new town hall. There is a large trade in fish, timber, coal, and salt.
Great Malvern, a town of Worcestershire, England, celebrated as a watering place, on the E. side of the Malvern hills, 8 m. S. S. W. of Worcester; pop. in 1871, 7,825. The springs, which are sulphuretted and slightly tepid, are especiallv beneficial in glandular and skin com-plaints. They are situated between Great and Little Malvern, the latter place being 4 m. S. of the former, winch is surrounded by fine country residences and contains delightful walks and good accommodations for bathers and visitors. There are several schools, an excellent library and reading room, and a chapel of the countess of Huntingdon's connection. The ancient church, formerly part of a monastery founded by Edward the Confessor, is one of the finest specimens of Gothic architecture in England. The Malvern hills, which reach a height of about 1,400 ft., extend about 9 m. N. and S.