Greer , the N. W. county of Texas, as claimed by the state authorities, lying between the forks of Red river; area, 3,480 sq. m.; still unsettled. There is considerable good land, but little timber. This region is claimed by the United States as being within the limits of the Indian territory.
Gregory , a S. county of Dakota, bounded N. E. by the Missouri river, recently formed, and not included in the census of 1870; area, about 1,400 sq. m. It is separated from Nebraska on the south by the Niobrara and Keya Paha rivers.
Gregory Thaumaturgus , (the wonder worker), a saint of the church, born in Neo-Caesa-rea about 210, died there about 270. He is also called Gregory of Neo-Caesarea. He was educated a pagan until his 14th year, studied the law at Alexandria and Athens, and in 234 entered the school of Origen at Caesarea, where he remained for five years. He was chosen first bishop of his native city at a time when it only numbered 17 Christians; but, according to historians, he labored so faithfully that at his death only 17 pagans were to be found in his place. Gregory of Nyssa, his biographer, relates from the local traditions the miracles said to have been wrought by him, and which obtained him his surname. His feast is celebrated in the Latin church on Nov. 17. His works, which contain " A Panegyrical Oration on Origen" and "A Paraphrase on the Book of Ecclesiastes," are found in vol. x. of Migne's Patrologie grecque. See also Eusebius, "Ecclesiastical History," books vi., vii.
Greifswald, Or Greifswalde a town of Po-merania, Prussia, on the river Ryck, 3 m. from the sea and 20 m. S. E. of Stralsund; pop. in 1871, 17,208. It was once a place of considerable strength, and is still surrounded by a wall, which has been converted into a promenade. It contains a university founded in 1456, which in 1873 had 57 professors and 537 students. Connected with the university is an academy of political economy and agriculture at Eldena. There are also several high schools. The town has manufactories of pins, soap, candles, tobacco, and leather. - Greifswald was founded in the 13th century, soon became flourishing, and was conspicuous as a member of the Hanse league. In the thirty years' war it was taken from Bogislas, duke of Pomerania, by the imperialists under Wallenstein; and soon after (1631) by the Swedes, who were confirmed in its possession by the peace of Westphalia It afterward often changed masters, being finally annexed to Prussia in 1815.
Greiz , a town of Germany, capital of the senior princes of Reuss, on the right bank of the White Elster, near the Saxon border, 49 m. S. S. W. of Leipsic; pop. in 1871, 11,582. It contains an imposing chateau, with a summer palace, an ancient castle on the adjoining Fels-berg, several churches, and a new town hall. Woollen and half-woollen goods (employing 3,000 looms) and many other articles are made here, and about 70 manufacturers of Greiz attend the annual fairs at Leipsic.