Grimma , a town of Saxony, on the Mulde, 14 m. S. E. of Leipsic; pop. in 1871, 6,536. It is pleasantly situated and contains several churches, an ancient town hall, and a royal palace which is used for public offices. Celebrated among its schools is the Furstenschule (Illustre Moldanum), with more than 120 pupils and a library of 6,000 volumes. Grimma was the most important commercial and manufacturing emporium of Saxony until the 14th century, but has considerably declined. The local industry has lately somewhat revived, and it also contains two large publishing houses. The Golzermuhle, outside the town, includes an extensive manufactory of paper and machinery, and an iron foundery. Albert the Brave, progenitor of the Saxon dynasty, was born in the castle of Grimma in 1443.
Grinnell , a town of Poweshiek co., Iowa, at the intersection of the Central railroad of Iowa with the Chicago, Rock Island, and Pacific line, about 50 m. E. by N. of Des Moines; pop. in 1870, 1,482. It is in a fertile undulating prairie, and is the seat of Iowa college (Congregational), originally established at Davenport. This institution was organized in 1848, and has a normal and English department, besides academic courses and a regular collegiate course. It possesses a valuable museum of natural history and extensive philosophical apparatus. The college and society libraries contain 6,500 volumes. In 1872-'3 there were 19 professors and 338 students.
Grinnell Land , a tract of land in the Arctic ocean, separated from Greenland by Kennedy channel and Robeson strait. Its discovery has been claimed by both English and American explorers. It was seen by the first American Grinnell expedition in search of Sir John Franklin, under Lieut. I)e Haven, Sept. 22, 1850, and eight months later was visited by Capt. Penny in the British vessel Lady Franklin. This officer, ignorant of its previous discovery, gave it the name of Prince Albert land. Dr. Kane, on his second expedition in 1854, explored and mapped it toward the west and north, in Ion. 76° W., and as far N. as lat. 82°. Capt. Hall in 1871 sailed up its coast to lat. 82° 16', and his crew reported that its extreme N. point appeared to be about lat. 83° 20', whence the shore trended westward.
Griquas, Or Baastaards a mixed race of S. Africa, consisting of the progeny of Dutch settlers by Hottentot and Bush women. They occupy the right bank of the great bend of Gariep or Orange river, on the X. frontier of Cape Colony, and are supposed to number about 15,000 souls, most of whom profess Christianity and are partly civilized. They have a prosperous community at Griqua Town, about 500 m. X. E. of Cape Town, under the direction of the London missionary society. This place was the seat of a well known Christian chief named Waterboer, who managed during his reign of 30 years (about 1814-'44) to break up the marauding practices for which his people had been noted. The chiefs are elected. The people retain many of the characteristics of both African and European progenitors. The Christians of this race are generally well clad. Many of them are thriving agriculturists and cattle breeders.