Gualeyguaychu

Gualeyguaychu , a city of the Argentine Republic, on the right bank of the Gualey-guaychu river, in the province of Entre-Rios, 120 m. N. of Buenos Ayres; pop. about 25,000 (in 1849, 7,000). The streets are wide, regular, and kept in good order, and the town is well built. In the surrounding country immense numbers of cattle and sheep are reared; there are many salting establishments in the vicinity, and there is a large trade in jerked beef, hides, wool, tallow, bone manure, and other animal products. Gualeyguaychu is the entrepot for all the export trade from the eastern portion of the province.

Guam

Guam ,.See Guahan.

Guamanga

Guamanga ,.See Ayacucho.

Guanabacoa

Guanabacoa , a town of Cuba, on a bay of the same name, 2 m. E. by S. of Havana; pop. about 7,000. The streets are wide and regular, and the houses remarkably well built, many of them being very handsome. It has a church, two convents, a theatre, philharmonic society, schools and academies for both sexes, and several hospitals. It is rendered especially attractive by its sea baths, which are frequented by the wealthy Havanese. Many Havana merchants reside here. It communicates with Havana by rail.

Guanacache

Guanacache , a lake of the Argentine Republic, in the province of San Juan, lat. 31° 50' S., Ion. 68° 40' W. Its length is about 40 m., and mean breadth 14 m.; it is fed by the Mendoza, San Juan, and other rivers, and sends its waters through the Cruces and Lake Silverio to the large lake El Bebedero on the confines of the provinces of San Luis and Mendoza.

Guanacaste

Guanacaste , a province of Central America, lying between Lake Nicaragua and the bay of Nicoya, and comprising a broken country, thinly populated, and only adapted for grazing. During the dominance of the Spanish crown it was under the political and ecclesiastical jurisdiction of Nicaragua; but after the independence, and the establishment of the republic of Central America, it was set off by the federal congress to the state of Costa Rica. The measure was declared to be temporary, and was against the wishes of its inhabitants. On the dissolution of the federation, Costa Rica asserted jurisdiction over it, on the strength of the enactment of congress; the question led to bitter discussions, until by a treaty in 1858 the greater part of the district was conceded to Costa Rica. Nicaragua still urges her claim to the province. In 1873 telegraphic communication was established between Liber-tad, the capital, and San Jose, the capital of Costa Rica.

Guanaco

Guanaco ,.See Llama.

Guanare

Guanare , a city of Venezuela, in the state of Barinas, 215 m. S. W. of Caracas; pop. about 12,000. It is situated in a picturesque valley, has straight wide streets, well built houses, and a few substantial public buildings, one of which is its church, much resorted to by pilgrims. There is a college, and dependent upon it a few schools. Cattle are the chief source of wealth. The principal articles of export are cacao, coffee, indigo, sugar, and tobacco. Guanare was founded in 1593 by Juan Fernandez de Leon, or according to some in 1009. A river of the same name (sometimes called the Guanarito), a tributary of the Orinoco, passing within 3 m. of the city, considerably facilitates exportation.