Harburg , a town of Prussia, in the province of Hanover, on the Elbe, 6 m. S. of Hamburg; pop. in 1871, 16,506. It has glass works, sugar refineries, and manufactories of tobacco, sail cloth, and chemicals. The Elbe is now navigable for ocean vessels up to Harburg, and the rapid growth of the town is chiefly due to the development of its maritime trade. There is a newly built fort and large wharves. A railway connects the town with Hanover, and steamers ply between it and Hamburg.
Harderwyk, Or Harderwijk a town of the Netherlands, in the province of Gelderland, on the E. shore of the Zuyder Zee, 30 m. E. of Amsterdam; pop. about 5,500. It was formerly one of the Hanse towns. It was taken by Charles V. in 1522, by the Dutch in 1572, and in 1672 occupied by the French, who burnt it on their departure in 1674. It is fortified toward the land, and is surrounded with pleasure gardens and arable and meadow land. The harbor was formerly used for fitting out vessels in the East India trade, but is now available only for fishing vessels. Seafaring, fishing, and herring smoking are the principal occupations.
Hardhack ,.See Spiraea.
Hardhead ,.See Menhaden.
Hardy , a N. E. county of West Virginia, bordering on Virginia, drained by Cacapon river and the S. branch of the Potomac; area, about 800 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 5,518, of whom 616 were colored. It has a mountainous, rocky surface, being crossed by ridges of the Alle-ghanies, and contains valuable mines of iron ore and many fertile valleys. The chief productions in 1870 were 33,442 bushels of wheat, 114,567 of Indian corn, 13,283 of oats, 13,566 lbs. of wool, 39,057 of butter, and 2,051 tons of hay. There were 1,103 horses, 1,300 milch cows, 4,074 other cattle, 4,176 sheep, and 2,967 swine. Capital, Moorefield.
Harford , a N. E. county of Maryland, bordering on Pennsylvania, bounded N. E. by the Susquehanna river, and S. E. by Chesapeake bay; area, 480 sq. m.; pop. in 1870,' 22,605, of whom 4,855 were colored. The N. W. part is hilly, and contains limestone, granite, and iron. The surface near the bay is level. The soil is fertilized by the use of lime and guano. It is crossed by the Tide-Water canal and the Philadelphia, Wilmington, and Baltimore railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 244,835 bushels of wheat, 659,789 of Indian corn, 303,164 of oats, 140,523 of potatoes, 209,-140 lbs. of tobacco, and 16,927 tons of hay. There were 4,247 horses, 5,718 milch cows, 7,558 other cattle, 5,612 sheep, and 11,676 swine; 1 manufactory of drugs and chemicals, 1 of fertilizers, 1 of pig iron, 2 of lime, 2 saw mills, and 4 flour mills. Capital, Belair.
Harlan ,.I. A S. E. county of Kentucky, bordering on Virginia, watered by Cumberland river and its head streams, and bounded S. E. by Cumberland mountain; area, about 600 sq. m; pop. in 1870, 4,415, of whom 99 were colored. It has a rugged surface, and is rich in coal, iron, and timber. The chief productions in 1870 were 2,266 bushels of wheat, 158,410 of Indian corn, 12,207 of oats, 12,636 of potatoes, 10,324 lbs. of wool, and 58,558 of butter. There were 779 horses, 1,609 milch cows, 3,151 other cattle, 5,933 sheep, and 10,-310 swine. Capital, Harlan. II. A S. county of Nebraska, bordering on Kansas, and intersected by Republican river and its branches; area, 576 sq. m. It is not included in the census of 1870. Capital, Melrose.