Haute-Vienne , (Upper Vienne), a W. department of France, formed of parts of the ancient provinces of Marche and Limousin, bordering on the departments of Indre, Creuse, Correze, Dordogne, Charente, and Vienne; area, 2,130 sq. m.; pop. in 1872, 322,447. The surface is diversified with mountains, valleys, and extensive plains. The mountains are connected with those of Auvergne, and form a dividing ridge between the basins of the Loire and the Garonne. Their highest point, the Puy-Vieux, is 3,200 ft. The Vienne, Thorion, and Gartempc are the principal rivers. The soil is not fertile, but good pasturage is abundant, and horses, cattle, sheep, etc, are reared. Iron, copper, lead, antimony, lin, coal, granite, amethysts, emeralds, etc, are found, and an active manufacturing industry is devoted to iron, steel, copper, porcelain, paper, etc. It is divided into the arrondissements of Limoges, Bellac, Rochcchouart, and St. Yrieix. Capital, Limoges.
Hautes-Pyrenees , (Upper Pyrenees), a S.W. department of France, in Gascony, bordering on Spain and the departments of Gers, Haute-Garonne, and Basses-Pyrenees, and deriving its name from the mountains which bound it on the south; area, 1,749 sq. m.; pop. in 1872, 235,156. Its surface is broken by numerous offsets of the Pyrenees, between which lie picturesque and fertile valleys, watered by the Arros, the Gave-de-Pau, and other streams. The department has mines of copper, iron, argentiferous lead, manganese, antimony, and zinc, and contains fine marble, granite, freestone, kaolin, gypsum, and several mineral springs. It produces abundance of fruits, wine, good pasturage, cattle, sheep, and horses, but not enough grain for domestic consumption. The manufactures are not important, and consist chiefly of the woollen stuffs called bareges. It is divided into the arrondissements of Tarbes, Argeles, and Ba-gneres-de-Bigorre. Capital, Tarbes.
Haverford College , an institution of learning under the care of the society of Friends, founded by members of that body in Philadelphia, New York, and New England, and opened in the autumn of 1833. It is situated in the township of Haverford, Delaware co., Pa., on the line of the Pennsylvania railroad, 8 m. N. W. of Philadelphia. The buildings stand on a lawn of 60 acres, laid out with great taste, and adorned with a fine collection of trees and shrubbery. The institution is richly endowed, and furnished with libraries, a chemical laboratory, philosophical apparatus, mineralogical and geological cabinets, and an astronomical observatory. In 1873-'4 there were 5 professors, 50 students, and 8,932 volumes in the libraries. The total number of graduates was 232.
Haverstraw , a town of Rockland co., New York, on the W. bank of the Hudson river, opposite Peekskill, and 32 m. N. of New York city hall; pop. in 1870, 6,412. The principal village is situated on the margin of the river, and is overhung by a line of limestone cliffs, which produce large quantities of lime. About 2 m. above is the village of Grassy Point. The principal business is the manufacture of bricks. The village contains a bank, a select school, two hotels, a weekly newspaper, print works, a foundery, a ship-building establishment, and three cigar factories. The town also contains the incorporated village of Warren, situated in the S. part. Stony Point, famous in the revolutionary war, is just above Haverstraw, from which it was separated in 1865.