Havre De Grace , a town of Harford CO., Maryland, on the W. bank of the Susquehanna river, near its mouth in Chesapeake bay, 35 m. N. E. of Baltimore; pop. in 1870, 2,281, of whom 441 were colored. It is the S. terminus of the Tidewater canal, and the Philadelphia, Wilmington, and Baltimore railroad here crosses the river on a bridge 3,271 ft. long, completed in 1867 at a cost of more than $1,250,000. The town is noted for its scenery, and has considerable trade in coal, and a weekly newspaper. It was laid out in 1776, and was burned by the British in the war of 1812.
Hawaiian Islands Ataui. See Kaui.
Hawk's Bill ,.See Turtle.
Hawkins , a N. E. county of Tennessee, bordering on Virginia, drained by Holston river, here navigable by steamboats; area, 710 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 15,837, of whom 1,889 were colored. It is traversed by Clinch mountain and other high ridges. Limestone is abundant, and the valleys are fertile. The East Tennessee, Virginia, and Georgia railroad skirts the S. W. border, and a branch terminates at the county seat. The chief productions in 1870 were 138,968 bushels of wheat, 466,470 of Indian corn, 112,306 of oats, 26,124 lbs. of wool, 117,468 of butter, and 3,354 tons of hay. There were 3,192 horses, 3,705 milch cows, 1,298 working oxen, 4,793 other cattle, 16,567 sheep, and 21,700 swine; 2 flour mills, and 2 saw mills. Capital, Rogersville.
Hawking ,.See Falconry.
Hawkwood , Sir John (called by the Italians Giovanni Acuto), an English military adventurer in the 14th century. He fought for the Viscontis and for Gregory XL, and so daring were his ravages of the Florentine territory, that he was paid 130,000 golden florins as a ransom. In Naples he sided with Charles III. against Louis of Anjou. In the course of a campaign in the contest between Florence and the Viscontis, shortly before his death, Hawk-wood pitched his camp on a hill. Jacopo del Verme, another leader of condottieri, opened the dikes of the Adige, and surrounded the hill with water, sending at the same time a fox in a cage as a present to Acuto. His reply was: "Good; but the fox does not look at all sad; he will find his way out." He found a crossing place, and cut his way through his opponents.
Hawthorn ,.See Thorn.
Hays , a central county of Texas, intersected by San Marcos river and watered by branches of the Colorado; area, 690 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,088, of whom 1,217 were colored. A chain of thickly wooded hills crosses it from N. E. to S. W., and the rest of the surface is generally undulating. Building stone is abundant. The chief productions in 1870 were 92,420 bushels of Indian corn, 7,838 of sweet potatoes, and 1,468 bales of cotton. There were 2,448 horses, 1,863 milch cows, 6,044 other cattle, 1,481 sheep, 3,770 swine, and 2 saw mills. Capital, San Marcos.